Introduction: Playable Scrabble Wall Art Tutorial
We love Scrabble in my house!! Now that we have this magnetic board we always have a game going in our kitchen! Our friends love this piece too. Its fun to see what they spell out when we have a get together.
Step 1: What You Will Need
What You Need:
-A Picture Frame ( I would suggest at least an 8X10)
-A Piece of Sheet Metal (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.)
-Liquid Nail (or any strong adhesive)
-100+ Magnets (found at any craft store. Go to HobbyLobby.com to get a "40% off an item" coupon)
-Scrabble Tiles or make your own using wooden squares found at any craft store (4th photo)
-Clear Spray Paint
-Tin Snips: if you cannot find sheet metal to fit your frame buy a piece that is a little bigger and cut it with Tin Snips to make it fit.
-Mod Podge: (Or Elmers Glue. Used to Decorate the metal)
-Bag of wooden tiles (only necessary if you are making your own tiles)
-Paper to cover the metal (I used pages from a Thesaurus)
Step 2: Lets Begin
1. Measure and mark cut lines on the sheet metal to fit your picture frame
2.Cut the piece of sheet metal with Tin Snips:
(My Frame is 24X18" so I measured 24X18" on my sheet metal)
Step 3: Decorate the Metal
1. Lay the sheet metal in your frame to make sure it fits
2 Now that you know the metal fits, take it out and decorate it!
-I Mod Podged Thesaurus pages to mine. You can also use Elmer's Glue if you dont have Mod Podge. I used both.
3. Begin laying and glueing your paper of choice all over the metal sheet. Try not to saturate the paper. Use just enough to get it to stick.
4. Once you are done gluing allow the paper to dry for a 1/2 hour or so.
5. Spray the clear coat spray paint over the paper. Let the spray paint dry and do it two more times.
6. Once it is completely dry, flip it over and cut off any pages going past the edge of the metal.
Step 4: Glue Sheet Metal Into Frame
If you are using a large frame, like I am, lay a book down so the metal doesn't bow in. Make sure you use a book that is level or lower than where the metal will sit.
1. Get your liquid nail or heavy duty glue out and glue around the inside ledge of entire frame
2. Lay the sheet metal in your frame face down. Make sure you put it in evenly.
3. Once the sheet metal is in, put another layer of glue around the frame
4. If the sheet metal is popping up place a couple of heavy objects on those places.
5. Allow the glue to dry completely before moving!
Step 5: Glue Scrabble Pieces to the Magnets
1. While you are waiting for the glue to dry begin gluing the magnets to the back of the tiles
Step 6: YOURE FINISHED!!
Once the glue is dry flip it over, put the scrabble pieces on, and hand your new scrabble board in your house!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!!!
To see more of my DIY Projects go to my blog at korrinewojcik.blogspot.com