I've seen a few different temperature controller projects here. I wanted to build one, with the following constraints:
- Controlled "dumb" appliance can be plugged directly into the unit. I didn't want to hack into the appliance, but more importantly I wanted to potentially be able to use this with more than one appliance.
- Simple design with simple inputs.
- As modular as possible, so I can pull off components if I ever want to make modifications, or if I want to sacrifice components to be used in other projects (I'm ruthless like that).
I have two specific uses in mind for this project, though hopefully I can come up with more uses somewhere down the line:
- Crockpot Sous Vide!! By controlling a crockpot with a precise temperature controller, I'll be able to do some amazing culinary things.
- Flower-pot hot plate smoker. This design will work perfectly for this type of project as well, though it will probably require a K-type thermocouple (more suited for open air), which I haven't implemented yet. This will be the next phase of the project.
I hope some of the ideas from this instructable will be tweaked and used in different projects.
Let's get cooking!
Disclaimer: This project involves mains voltage, which means you can get fried. Be careful!