This is what I made for the Instructable's gift exchange.
Note: These instructions can easily be modified to create a plush Iphone instead of a phone sleeve. See step 12 for this.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
- Plush fabric
- Black and grey felt
- Colour printer and photo quality paper
- Glue or Mod Podge
- Sewing machine
- Pins and needles
Step 2: Measure and cut fabric
- I used this cardboard stand-in (covered in duct tape) to measure the length and width I would need for the felt inside lining.
- The width of the felt is the width of the phone plus twice the phone's depth (since we are making a sleeve for the phone to fit inside) and and the seam allowance.
- The length is measured the same way, the size includes the length of the phone plus twice the depth and the seam allowance.
- Once the felt piece has been cut out simply use that as the template to cut the same size piece of plush fabric.
Step 3: Pin and sew fabric together
- Place one fabric on top of the other with right sides together (ie. the plush side is facing the felt) and pin together.
- Using a sewing machine sew the two pieces together leaving one end open.
- Using the end of the sleeve left open turn the fabric right side out and hand stitched closed.
Step 4: Front panel: printing the screen
Step 5: Front panel: coating the print
Step 6: Front panel: cutting the felt
- To start with we need two equal sized pieces of felt that are larger than the screen (we will trim it down to the right size later).
- Print out a draft image of the phone panel on regular paper (make sure it is the exact size as the one in step 4).
- With a sewing machine sew the print on top of one of the black felt pieces.
- Cut out each of the squares for the Apps with fine scissors making sure it cuts through the paper and felt.
- For the four icons at the bottom, just cut out a rectangle rather than individual squares (see image 4)
- Cut out a rectangle of grey felt the size of the grey portion of the screen and cut out the four squares as you did with the black piece.
- Remove the draft print and stitching from the felt and align over the glossy print (from step 4) and check that you can fully see the icons underneath trim if necessary.
Step 7: Front panel: glueing felt
- To glue the panel together, first coat the back of the print with glue and centre it onto the piece of felt without the squares.
- Cover the backside of the felt with the squares with glue and place over the print (on the back felt piece). Make sure that the squares are aligned properly over the Apps.
- Apply glue to the back of the grey piece and place on the appropriate spot on black felt.
- Wipe off excess glue and allow to dry.
Step 8: Front panel: adding details
- With a sewing machine and white thread, I sewed the edge of the screen (image one below).
- Although the grey part of the screen is glued on, I reinforced it by sewing around the edge, to ensure is stays on (image two).
- I cut a small piece of grey fabric for the earpiece and hand stitched it in place (image three).
- I hand stitched the time, battery life and signal reception with white thread on the top part of the screen (image three).
Step 9: Front panel: sewing onto plush
Step 10: Adding the logo
Step 11: Sewing together the sleeve
- Fold the fabric in half and pin together making sure the ends line up.
- Hand stitch the sides together leaving the top end open.
- If the fabric is quite plush you can do the sewing on the outside since you won't see the stitches they will be hidden by the pile.