This little gadget is for the the little kids.
It creates an ever changing palet of colorful lights on the wall and ceiling.
It uses the ever popular 555 timer (gateway drug equivalent in electronics) to turn itself off in 15 (+ or - 3) minutes.
The voltage in low enough to be battery operated but works best with a wall AC to DC transformer. 9 volts is best, plus safe for the kids.
And now for a video:
Step 1: Prepare to shop at Ebay
Almost all the components used in this instructable was found on ebay.
My ebay search included but is not limited to:
- Slow fade RGB LED
- color changing LED
- 555 timer
- small tin container
I am a little addicted to ebay.
Step 2: Parts and Tools
Here is the parts list:
- 10 color changing LEDs. RGB Slow change or Slow fade. Avoid "Fast Blink" RGB LEDS - this is a sleeptime nightlight for the kids, not a disco light system.
- 1 555 IC
- 1 power transistor or MOSFET
- 2 10 KOhm resistors
- 1 0.01 uF capacitor
- 1 36 Ohm resistor
- 1 1.8 M Ohm resistor
- 1 1 M Ohm resistor
- 1 470 uF electrolitic capacitor
- 1 NO momentary push button switch
- 1 power jack
- 1 small tin container with a clear lid
- Some wires
- a scrap piece of wood
- Soldering iron
- wire cutters
- wire strippers
- drill press or hand drill
- drill bits