Most Instructables about potato cannons involve building big, heavy-duty, cannons which are a little dangerous. This instructable is about building a small potato cannon that you can shoot in your back yard or basement.
It is unlikely you will get injured by this but dont be stupid!! The ignitor can give you a shock that is pretty painful but only has the power of a AA battery. dont use any other fuel other then hairspray or deodorant. Do not use gas or other explosives. Other than that you should be good!
Step 1: Supplies
- (1) Film canistor. (You can get them free from Rite-Aid, CVS, or other disposable camera development places)
- (2) Corkboard push pins
- (1) used disposable camera.
- (1) BIC pen
- Insulated wire
- Electrical or duct tape
- Scissors or a knife
- Soldering iron
Step 2: Ignitor
- Take apart the disposible camera. Take care not to touch any circutry until you have discharged the capicitor.
- Solder 1ft to 2ft wires to the capaciror leads. If you want you can wrap the whole circut in electrical tape for more saftey. but do not tape over the button. or the battery holder
Step 3: Cannon
- Take apart any cheap pen (like the bic one I used).
- Poke the back out with a screwdriver or similar tools.
- Use scissors or a knife. (I used a Knife) to poke a hole for your barrel in your film canistor. make it a little bit smaller then the diameter of your barrel.
- Take the pen barrel a push it in to the hole it is ok if it sticks out in the chamber. It should fit snugly and stick by itself.
- Wrap tape around barrel and canistor to hold them together.
Step 4: Put It All Together and Fire!
- Take wires that are soldered to the camera and wrap each of them around the pin part of a push pin.
- Stick the push pins diagonally into the canistor so they are almost touching.
- Find a combustable areosal spray, (maybe Oust, Axe, or Hairspray) and strawberries or a potato and head outside.
- Stab the front of the barrel into the strawberry or potato and get a piece a litte less then 1/2 inch inside the barrel. push it down to the bottom of the barrel with a nail .
- Holding the can a few inches away, spray the aerosol spray into the back of canistor for 1 second let it air out for about five seconds then put the back on.
- Press the button on the ignitor wait for the whining sound to stop hold the back on firmly and wiggle the pins until they touch inside the canister there will be a spark inside and the potato will come flying out.
- After every fire take the battery out of the ignitor and take the back off wiggle until they touch there will be another big spark then it is safe to reload.
- You may have to change the pins every once an a while because the spark melts them away.
- Do not touch the pins after firing as they are usually hot.