Introduction: Poker Card Flower Hair Clip/Pin
I've been wanting to make one of these for a long time. I finally made my own pattern, and I'm quite happy with how it turned out!!
- My petal template (see attached file)
- Thin cardboard or card stock (a small piece for petal pattern pieces)
- Deck of playing cards (makes 4 flowers)
- Low temp hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Hair clip blank or pin back blank
- Pom pom, button, or other round embellishment piece for the flower's center. (about 15mm diameter)
Step 1: Make Pattern Pieces
To transfer the pattern:
- Print the attached petal pattern.
- Trace over the lines of the petal pieces with your pencil darkly.
- Flip the pattern page over onto your card stock so that the image is facing down.
- hold the pages down tightly so they can't move around.
- Using your pencil, scribble over all the lines of the pattern pieces.
Your pattern should now show up on your card stock.
Cut the three pattern pieces out of card stock.
Step 2: Trace Petals Onto Cards
Trace the petal pieces onto your cards as shown in the image.
- Small petal - trace over the faces of the King, Queen, and Jack (3 petals).
- Medium petal - trace near a corner over the number and suit of the 9,8,7,6, and 5 cards (5 petals).
- Large petal - trace as close as possible to a corner of King, Queen, Jack, Ace, and 10 Cards (5 petals).
(The small petals will be cut from the same cards as 3 of the large petals.)
Step 3: Cut Out Petals
Cut out all your petal pieces.
Step 4: Fold Tabs and Notch
Fold a small tab on the bottom of each petal, and snip a small notch in the center of the tab (up to the fold line).
Step 5: Shape Petals
Curl the tops of the petals around your finger. They hold their shape easily.
Step 6: Glue Large Petals
Place a small amount of hot glue on the top right side of the 10 card tab. Overlap with the Jack card tab and press together to glue. Continue overlapping and gluing all 5 large petals as shown in the 1st image.
Allow the glue on the last 2 petals to dry, and then pull the end cards together to form a circle as shown in the 2nd image. Glue the tabs of the last 2 cards in place.
Step 7: Glue Medium Petals
Place a small amount of glue on the bottom of medium petal tabs and glue them to the tabs of the large petals in a staggered position as shown above.
Step 8: Glue Small Petals
Put a small amount of hot glue on the bottom of the small petal tabs and glue them down onto the medium petal tabs.
Step 9: Glue Center Embellishment
Put a small amount of hot glue on the tops of the small petal tabs, and press your center embellishment down into the flower's center.
Step 10: Glue Hair Clip/pin Back
Apply hot glue to your choice of backing and press it against bottom of your flower to secure it.
Step 11: Enjoy Your New Creation!
Votes in the paper crafting contest are greatly appreciated!
4 People Made This Project!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.