You can add some decorative flower lights to your garden with some cheap solar garden lights and pony beads. You just need your outside grill and some patience to wait for the beads to melt.
Step 1: Supplies needed
- Solar garden lights. I purchased mine for 97¢ at Walmart.
- Pony beads. I purchased clear with sparkles. I bought a 1 lb bag at Michael's for about $4.50 with a 40% off coupon. It will make about 4 flowers.
- Baking pan. You can buy these at the dollar store. They do not need to be nonstick. I used an 8 inch round cake pan at first, but it didn't cover the top part of the solar light very well. If you don't mind seeing it, use the small pan. I then bought a pizza pan and it covered the top of the black solar light much better.
- Sockets. I used 1/2 inch and 1 inch sockets.
- Tin can. I used a tomato paste can.
- Aluminum foil
- Gas grill. You could use your oven, but the smell of melting plastic is overwhelming.
- Shish kabob stick (optional).
Step 2: Design flowers
Have fun arranging beads to look like flowers. I placed the 1/2 inch socket in the middle of the flower. The socket was the same size as the stem on the solar light. If your socket is slightly smaller than the stem, use the next size up. Otherwise, you may have to file it to make it slightly larger to fit on the solar light. On two of the flowers I did not add the socket. These ones I made to float on a pond or pool, so you don't want any holes.