There are many ways to make model of the platonic solids. This time, it will be made out of Popsicle sticks. We will be featuring each of the five platonic solids in different posts. Read more about Platonic Solids at Wikipedia.
There are five platonic Solids:
Tetrahedron has four faces (triangles), four vertices and six edges.
12 Popsicle sticks
tacky glue or glue gun
Step 1: The Six Edges
- Choose 12 good sticks.
- Glue 2 sticks together at 90 degrees angle. (See pictures)
- Dry six edges made.
Step 2: The Triangles
There are many ways to build a tetrahedron. We can also build three triangles and connect them all but we are not doing it here.
For this tutorial, we will build two triangles and add the two edges at the end.
- Prepare three edges.
- Form a triangle. Let it dry.
- Make another triangle.
Step 3: The Tetrahedron With Six Edges
- Prepare two triangles and two edges with a glue. (Use hot glue gun if you wish.)
- With a triangle and two sides, build the third triangle.(See images)
- Please be patient and wait for the glue to dry as it will not be easy to connect them.
- A tetrahedron!
Step 4: Optional: Have Fun With It!
- Make more tetrahedrons!
- Display it as home or classroom decoration.
- Mix them with other stuffs in your house.