This project started several years ago when I first saw Raspberry Pi embedded into a Gameboy case. Sadly my electronics skills were nowhere near the level required to assemble it. Now that my skills are finally up to par for the challenge the whole thing just didn't feel practical enough.
First thing that I had issues with is that the whole thing wasn't modular at all and any fault that might occur within the unit would take at least some soldering to fix. Second thing is that when I picked up my old Gameboy before ordering the case, it felt too small for everything I wanted to put in it.
Thus I decided to make a custom enclosure, and being how I don't own a CNC or 3D printer it got made with hand tools.
I got a lot of the inspiration from PiGRRL2 and numerous projects here on Instructables, as well as Ben Heck's Show on youtube.