This is an extremely cheap and easy way to start a fire anywhere in any weather, using just common household items. Leave a comment if you find a mistake, and please Vote for me in the Pocket-Sized Contest! Thanks!!
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients.
Here is what you need to build your own Fire-Starter:
1. A box to fit everything in -I used a plastic Top Trumps box which happened to be on my floor at the time.
2. Steel Wool - preferably grade 3 or 4.
3. A 9v Battery (depending on the grade of the Steel Wool you use you may need a higher voltage supply, eg 2 x 9volts connected in series= 18 volts)
4. Battery Snaps - I cut mine from a broken Smoke Alarm.
5. A Switch - A push-to-break is not necessary, just handy, any On/Off Switch will work.
6. A Match - The most vital component, Safety matches are preferred but not necessary.
7. Some Kitchen Foil - I lined the plastic case with it to prevent burning and to reflect heat back at the newly-born flame:)