Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients.
1. A box to fit everything in -I used a plastic Top Trumps box which happened to be on my floor at the time.
2. Steel Wool - preferably grade 3 or 4.
3. A 9v Battery (depending on the grade of the Steel Wool you use you may need a higher voltage supply, eg 2 x 9volts connected in series= 18 volts)
4. Battery Snaps - I cut mine from a broken Smoke Alarm.
5. A Switch - A push-to-break is not necessary, just handy, any On/Off Switch will work.
6. A Match - The most vital component, Safety matches are preferred but not necessary.
7. Some Kitchen Foil - I lined the plastic case with it to prevent burning and to reflect heat back at the newly-born flame:)
Step 2: Break the match in half (Optional)
Step 3: Line the Plastic with Foil (Also Optional)
Step 4: Fix the Battery and Switch In Place
1. Attach the snaps to the 9V battery now(or begin soldering if you have more than one battery - Click HERE) if you have not done this before.
2. The switch must also be soldered about halfway along one of the battery wires, and then glued into place facing outwards.
3. The battery terminals should be fixed a finger-width apart and in the middle of space - not inside the plastic box as this is where the match will sit.
Step 5: Prepare the Match for Combustion.
Basically, the steel wool is wrapped tghtly around the head of the match(Unlike mine, which is grade #00 and impossible to grip)
The ends should be sticking out straight from both sides(Also unlike mine)
When this is laid across the two battery terminals and the current is allowed to flow through it, the resistance in the steel wool is too high for the metal to stand so it burns out(as a Fuse is designed to do).
This in turn will ignite the sulphur on the head of the match, and VOILA! - we have fire.
Step 6: Finished!
It is perfect for any enthusiastic fisherman or camper, or even for any boy scouts looking for the easy way out;)
Let me know what you think of it, Ill try to upload more designs(an altoids tin next!), possibly a sketch of the electronic circuit and a even video of its operation as soon as I find a strong battery!!>:(
Thanks for looking people!