(for a pair of Portals)
What you use to build the physical enclosures/structures is up to you really. And how much of it sort of depends on how big your box is.
• 1x sheet of drafting velum To diffuse the light box light.
• 3x 1/4” white acrylic (18” x 32”) To build the light boxes + poppets
• 2x 3/8” plywood (36” x 48”) The main cases
• 1x 1/8” plywood (18” x 24”) For the camera + light mounts
• 4 tiny hinges. For the box lids.
• 2 sheets of clear address label stickers Avery 1” x 2 5/8”
• Misc. adhesive + cutting supplies. A roll of velcro, white tape, elmer’s glue, acrylic cement, small screws, x-actos, laser cutter, woodshop, etc...
(for a pair of Portals)
They're not exactly cheap..
• 2x Newer iMacs. Running OSX 10.6.8. a newer/faster one is probably better.
• 2x flat-screen LCD monitor. I’m using 17inch Acer monitors with removable stands
• 2x display port to VGA adapters To hook up the monitors to the computers
• 2x HD webcam I’m using Logitech c910. Color and quality is great but there’s no manual control for anything which sucks. But the HD cams result in a pretty clean chroma key. I am definitely still inter- ested in an acceptable alternative to these cameras.
• 2x board camera with remote CCD Unibrain’s Fire-i Digital Board Camera with Remote CCD. These are Firewire and have a manual focus as well as an interchangeable lens.
• 2x lens for the Fire-i cameras 2.1mm seems to work alright for this distance.
• 2x firewire 400 to 800 adapters For the firewire cameras
• 2x set of ultra thin LED puck lights I have some by Amertac. One set contains 3 lights.
• 4x set of Ultra Thin LED strip lights Amertac. One set is 3 strips, you need 12 strips total.
• 1x power strip/surge protector
3. SOFTWARE + FILES
I’ll go into more detail about each of these later, but we’re basically going to be connecting all of these things together.
• Reactivision (http://reactivision.sourceforge.net/
) Open source computer vision framework
• Osculator (http://www.osculator.net/
) Interprets OSC messages
• NETLab Toolkit + HUB (http://www.netlabtoolkit.org/
) Integrates tangible interaction + Flash
• Adobe Flash CS5+ (http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
) You know. Flash.
• iChat (comes with your mac) Handles the video chat side of things
• CamTwist (http://camtwiststudio.com/
) Layers all the video feeds together.
• Files (http://portals-and-friends.com/share/Portals_Files.zip
) Includes program files, laser cutting files, and artwork