How I made my post apocalyptic lantern. Great for movie props and shelf decoration.
Step 1: Materials
You will need:
- 4 inch PVC coupling
- 1/4 x 20 inch threaded rod
- 1/4 x 20 nuts
- Plastic Light Bulb socket
- Wooden board or Steel Sheet
- Wall socket connector
- Post apocalyptic looking goodies
Step 2: Assembling the Light Housing and Wiring
- Take the plastic light bulb socket and screw it to the PVC coupling. (Do this carefully with pilot holes so you don't crack the plastic)
- Cut the preferred shape for the top of the lantern out of the wood or steel sheet.
- Drill holes in the base of the light bulb socket and the top plate of the so that they are the same. Make sure there is enough room for the light bulb.
- Cut off the desired length of threaded rod so that it will shish kabob the base and top plate. When cutting the rod make sure there is a nut on it. After cutting it, remove the nut off the cut end. This will re-thread the rod's end.
- Assemble the housing to make sure that everything is correct.
- Take the wire and run it from the plug to the bulb. Good connections and insulation of the wires is a must. In this example the switch is just decoration but could easily be wired in. Also a battery could be used instead of an outlet.
Step 3: Decorating
Now find anything lying around to throw on the lantern to make it yours. I found some screws, switches, bands, and shells to created the post apocalyptic look I was going for. And with a little spray paint it turned out alright.