This is a modified recipe that originally appeared in the February 2008 issue of Bon Appetit.
Without further a due, Let's roast some pot!
Step 1: Recipe
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 4-pound boneless grass-fed beef chuck roast
- 6 ounces thick cut bacon
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 large onions
- 9 shallots
- 12 garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 large carrots (about 1 pound), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium parsnips (about 1 pound), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 celery root, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup pitted and halved prunes **optional**
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces **optional**
- 2 yams, cut into 1-inch pieces **optional**
Step 2: Brown Bacon
Once the bacon is cooked, set the bacon aside and leave the drippings in the pan.
Step 3: Mix Spices and Coat the Beef
Rub the spice mix all over the piece of meat, making sure to coat all surfaces evenly.