Introduction: Potato Bonda : an Easy to Make Snack Food
Potato Bonda or Potato Balls are an easy to make snack food which can be made in a very short time. Whenever some unexpected guests arrive, you can make this tasteful snack and surprise your guests.
Step 1: Pressure Cook the Potatoes
- Pressure cook five to six (about half a kilogram) of potatoes in a pressure cooker for about eight to ten minutes
- Remove the cooker from stove and allow the pressure to come down to normal
Step 2: Mash the Boiled Potatoes
- Once pressure is normal, remove boiled potatoes from cooker
- You can place the potatoes in cold water to rapidly cool them down
- Remove skin and mash the potatoes with your finger without any lumps
Step 3: Saute the Mashed Potatoes
You can prepare other ingredients when the potatoes are being pressure cooked
- Chop two medium sized onion and keep aside
- Chop five or six Green chilies (as per your taste) in to fine pieces
- Place a frying pan over medium flame and add about a tablespoon of oil
- Stir fry the chopped onions and Green chilies till raw smell disappears
- Add salt to taste and the mashed potatoes to the pan and mix well
- Remove the pan from stove and allow the potato mix to cool down
Step 4: Make Batter
In another vessel, take the following ingredients
- About half a cup of chickpea flour
- One teaspoon of red chili powder
- One teaspoon of cumin seed powder
- One teaspoon of fennel seed powder
- About half a teaspoon of Asafoetida powder
- Salt to taste
Mix all these ingredients with water to form a thick batter
- Now make about one inch size balls with the mashed potato mix and place them in the batter so that the potato balls are evenly covered with batter on all sides.
- If the batter is very thick, add little water. If it is runny, add little amount of chickpea flour.
Step 5: Deep Fry the Potato Balls
- Heat enough cooking oil over medium flame
- Once the oil is heated, add the coated potato balls one by one
- Rotate the bonda with a ladle so that all sides are evenly cooked
- When the outer surface of the Bondas turn golden brown remove from oil
- Strain extra oil using a strainer
Serve this delicious snack food hot with coconut chutney and coffee
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.