Step 4: Design thy image to be lasered
Tips for deigning an image to be lasered:
- Each path with the laser should be on a separate layer. In my images, I have a total of 3 layers for each image. One layer is the laser "raster" channel, where the laser will etch away the glaze on the tile to reveal the underlying ceramic.
- The second layer is a "vector" channel, where the laser will cut through a mask.
- The third layer actually doesn't get cut on the laser at all, but I like to include it to give me some reference for the other 2 layers (so yes, this isn't required either).
- I did everything in raster in photoshop, then used the "trace bitmap" feature in Corel Draw to convert the vector channel layer into vector paths. IMO, design is a lot easier if you are just working in 1 program.
- I didn't care too much about color when I was doing this - I figured I'd convert it all to black and white at the end, but used various colors at this step just to easily associate one layer with a color.