Step 1: Gather Materials and Tools
1. unpowered USB hub
2. cutting board (optional)
3. USB battery pack. This one is capable of 1A, but more is always better.
4. USB OTG cable
5. electrical tape. Use instead of shrink tube if in a hurry
6. wire strippers
7. test bulb. Completely optional. I didn't use mine. I was feeling froggy, so I leapt in head first.
8. wire cutters. I used mine to cut the electrical tape.
9. shrink tube. Can be used instead of tape.
Spiraling inward, additional items are:
10. donor USB cables.
11. razor knife.
Step 2: I'm Lucky, My Hub Has a Removable Cable!
Step 3: Cut the Cables
Step 4: Connect the Wires
Connect the positive wires, usually red, from the power cable and the piece going to the hub. DO NOT CONNECT THE RED FROM THE DATA CABLE. THIS COULD FRY SOMETHING! It might not, but it could. Clip the red wire from A end of data cable off.
Connect the other two wires as they were before you cut the cables, except do not connect those two wires to the power cable.
Tape or shrink tube things together.
Step 5: Mark the Power Cable
Step 6: Hook It Up
I hope this helps.
Be brutal in the comments, this is my first Instructable and I love adverse reactions.