Instructions for the first part of the cosplay belt buckle I am making for the character of Princess Barbara from the Ubisoft game Rayman Legends. This was done as part of a Makerspace course I am taking at St Catherine University for my Masters of Library and Information Science. I hope to add a part two once i have completed the project.
Step 1: Materials
- Air dry clay
- Oomoo molding rubber
- Smooth-cast 300 casting resin
- Smooth-on Superseal
- Mold release
- Clay tools
- Plastic cups, two in a medium size, and one large one
- Paper bowl
- Plastic spoons
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Step 2: Sculpt Your Original
- Using your air dry clay, sculpt your image.
- Allow to dry completely following manufacturers instruction. Remember though, the thicker you make your sculpt, the higher the chances it will take longer than normal to dry. This need a few extra days before i was comfortable that it was completely dry. So it is a good idea to give yourself plenty of time.
Step 3: Making the Mold
- Calculate the amount of liquid rubber you will need
- Hot glue your original in your clean paper bowl
- Apply sealer to sculpt and container and let dry
- Apply mold release to sculpt and container and let dry
- Measure equal amounts of part A and part B into your medium cups. Combined they should total the amount of rubber you need
- Mix the two parts together in your larger cup, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom
- Pour rubber into container, starting from the lowest point.
- Let cure following manufacture instructions. For oomoo rubber this is six hours
- Demold your original
- Your mold is now ready to be used for casting, which will be covered in step 2.