In this Instructable, I got an Epson printer from a friend that was broken, but still in good shape. I will just show the parts I got out of it that I hope to use.
Step 1: Starting to Tear It Down.
The tools I used were:
- Small and medium phillips screw drivers
- long, thin slotted screw driver for prying
- pliers, for when subtlety fails
- wire cutters (did not use this time)
I just take my time, and try to figure out the best way to disassemble without tearing anything up. I once tore up a nice stepper motor, because I got impatient. It is really pretty interesting to see how printers work.
As I go, I save any parts that I think I can use. Primarily I look for:
- DC Motors. They are especially useful if the gearbox stay intact.
- Stepper motors. This is what got me started on printers, since they are fairly expensive to buy new.
- Plastic gears. I hope to do something cool with them.
- Misc electronic components that I think I can get working.
Step 2: The Spoils!
Now comes the hard part, turning them into something fun (or useful)!