About now we a ready to start tuning the software so the machine draws stuff the right size, the right way around and at a reasonable speed. I taped a pen to the side of the printer head and start to play with some setting.
I noticed that the mac version can be a bit gitchy as the new setting don't seem to work sometimes but hitting the big red close/reset button seems to fix it usually.
If you look on the first screen shot notice the 3 tabs Axis control, Visualizer and Advanced. There is also a step size tab on the bottom right and arrows to step the X Y and Z Axis
You can make your printer roller and slide move by clicking on each arrow, If things are going the wrong way or moving on the wrong button you can fix this by correcting your wiring on the easy driver to motor connections. To change direction of the motor, reverse the connection on one motor coil. Warning
Dont change any connections with the power on it will damage the easy driver boards.
Time to start playing with the setting. (Notes are also on the screen shots)
- We need to change The X and Y setting so the slide and paper move the correct distance. Note the $0=250.000(X,step/mm) and the $1=250.000(Y,step/mm)
- Click on the advanced tab then click on Unlock Grbl then Grbl setting
- Click on the stetting you want to change, The roller was travelling way to far so I reduced this to 29.5 ( yours will probably be different) so the paper would move exactly 100 mm when the 100mm step is selected.
- Hit apply and on the main screen hit soft reset
- All going well you should see a new line of code at the bottom of the text screen. You can then use the arrows to see if your changes worked. (If nothing changed hit the red reset button)
- Once you have on axis moving the correct distance you can adjust the other.
- You can also adjust the speed Under the default feed and default seek
- You will find that speed doesn't change that much until you adjust the acceleration
- I got mine setting by trial and error, with the goal been to draw a 100mm square box, it to about an hour of fiddling
- I then found it was all back to front so a quick wiring change to the X (slide) stepper motor fixed that.