Introduction: How to Make a Modular Vegetable Protection Cage.
Fourth Prize in the
Gardening & Homesteading Contest
Have you ever had pigeons in your garden eating your home grown vegetables? And have you ever tried to scare them away? Then you have probably noticed that they aren't scared of anything.
CUBE is the solution to that problem. It is a modular netting system adaptable to every plant and usable for several years. The modularity enables the nets to grow with your plant and it makes it possible to construct any shape you want.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
FOR ONE CUBE:
- 10m (33 ft) pvc tube, diameter 20mm (0,80 inch)
- at least 2,5 m² (27 ft²) net
- 20, 90 degree fittings
- 10 double pvc clips
- 1 pair of sliding clips
- saw (small serrations)
- miter box (optional)
- tape measure
Step 2: Saw the Tubes
1. Measure and indicate your desired dimensions, make sure that the 4 tubes
have the same length.
Here we make squares of 60 cm (24 inch), therefore we saw the tubes every
47 cm (18,5 inch).
2. Saw the tubes using the saw and miter box
(hint: you can saw 3 tubes at once)
Step 3: Weave the Tubes
1. Spread the net over a table
(hint: tape the net to the table at 2 corners)
2. Weave one tube in the net. Make sure that the mesh is diagonal towards the
3. Insert a corner piece, and weave it in the net.
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 to make a square.
Make sure that there is enough tension on the net, this way the bird won't get
caught in it.
Step 4: Cut the Excess Net
Cut off the excess net as close to the tubes as possible.
Step 5: Repeat Step 2 - 4
Make more squares until the desired amount.
To make one CUBE, you need 5 squares
Step 6: Assemble the Squares
1. Clip on the clips
(hint: to make it firm, use two clips on each side)
2. To make a hinged top, use the sliding clips to open and close, and the double
clips as hinges.
3. Assemble the cubes as desired to make any shape you want.
Step 7: Alternative Cornerpieces
The cornerpieces used here are pretty expensive. To lower the costs, you can make them yourself. You can choose one of the examples above, or make your own version.
1. Cut two tubes with a larger diameter under an angle of 45° and glue them
together with pvc glue.
2. Heat up a tube (use a candle) with a larger diameter. Squeeze the heated area
and bend it 90°.
(Hint: use a mold to create the same angle every time)
3. Try to find cheaper, existing cornerpieces.
4. Heat up the ends of two tubes, squeeze them flat and bend them 45°. Drill a hole
trough them and bolt them together.
Step 8: Done! Enjoy Your Home Grown Vegetables!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.