CUBE is the solution to that problem. It is a modular netting system adaptable to every plant and usable for several years. The modularity enables the nets to grow with your plant and it makes it possible to construct any shape you want.
Step 1: Materials and tools
- 10m (33 ft) pvc tube, diameter 20mm (0,80 inch)
- at least 2,5 m² (27 ft²) net
- 20, 90 degree fittings
- 10 double pvc clips
- 1 pair of sliding clips
- saw (small serrations)
- miter box (optional)
- tape measure
Step 2: Saw the tubes
have the same length.
Here we make squares of 60 cm (24 inch), therefore we saw the tubes every
47 cm (18,5 inch).
2. Saw the tubes using the saw and miter box
(hint: you can saw 3 tubes at once)
Step 3: Weave the tubes
(hint: tape the net to the table at 2 corners)
2. Weave one tube in the net. Make sure that the mesh is diagonal towards the
3. Insert a corner piece, and weave it in the net.
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 to make a square.
Make sure that there is enough tension on the net, this way the bird won't get
caught in it.
Step 5: Repeat step 2 - 4
To make one CUBE, you need 5 squares
Step 6: Assemble the squares
(hint: to make it firm, use two clips on each side)
2. To make a hinged top, use the sliding clips to open and close, and the double
clips as hinges.
3. Assemble the cubes as desired to make any shape you want.