Introduction: Prototype Airsoft Trip Mine.

The airsoft land mine I bought was a pitiful waste of $50. The self proclaimed "loud boom followed by a large blast of powder" was a tiny pop and half inch high puff. Enemies didn't even notice that they triggered it. This is the prototype version of my trip mine. It throws BBs about twenty-eight feet and baking soda about five. It is spring powered and acts like a piston; the spring is attached (by a washer and screw) to a plug. To operate, place the spring mechanism inside the pipe. Push it down with a plunger and lock the plug in place with the pin. As soon as I finish the final version I will post an Instructable.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Build-an-Airsoft-Trip-Mine/

Comments

author
clistul made it! (author)2015-01-21

i have never thought of that... that is frickin smart!

author
zow566 made it! (author)2012-06-17

in the second to last photo...Where The heck is it?!?!

author
kve23 made it! (author)2011-02-02

You should add a 45 degree elbow to the top. ?

author
MrMadmonkey4 made it! (author)2010-11-11

i made 1 of these and hid it on my desk now if some 1 comes in my room...BANG!!! XD

author
hobbitboy made it! (author)hobbitboy2010-11-28

what is XD ???????????

author
MrMadmonkey4 made it! (author)MrMadmonkey42010-12-01

its like :) if you type it in yahoo chat it makes and emot

author
hobbitboy made it! (author)hobbitboy2010-12-03

okay thanks ive seen lots of people say this

author
u971 made it! (author)2010-07-20

I am so going to make this when i get some pvc pipe. looks so realistic with the camouflage its awesome.

author
ManchesterUtd. made it! (author)2009-11-05

great idea! but i already made one except mine has a 45 degree pvc connector at the top to help direct it

author
adaweg98 made it! (author)2009-06-25

why cant u use a ruberband holoow out a pen use the ink stick atach it to a ruber band and when you step on it a jet stream of bbs coming at you but nice idiea but mine is more compact but what i tested and a really good spring agnist my mine it has a 75% chance of hiting the target a ruberband is doing that and youre ideia 25% chance

author
esplonky made it! (author)esplonky2009-06-28

because this is more powerful.

author
Drifter921 made it! (author)2009-06-01

you should try attaching a string on the cork, so it won't go flying and peg someone in the face

author
Spl1nt3rC3ll made it! (author)Spl1nt3rC3ll2009-06-01

I solved that problem, if you'll note the link at the bottom of the slideshow's description. : )

author
An Villain made it! (author)2009-04-16

no sir, you use shower curtain rod. those have HUGE springs.

author
Aeshir made it! (author)2008-08-02

Where do you get the springs for this? Also, crap, I forgot my second question.

author
Spl1nt3rC3ll made it! (author)Spl1nt3rC3ll2008-08-03

Ace Hardware. There's a more detailed comment on my instructable (the reply to RomanArtifact).

author
Aeshir made it! (author)Aeshir2008-08-03

Aw poop. I was thinking like stuff at home. I dun haz ne muneez. My airsoft gun is just a cheap manual spring pistol anyways.

author
CapnTac made it! (author)CapnTac2009-03-22

The springs are super cheap and come in packs of 4 or 5.

author
PKTraceur made it! (author)PKTraceur2008-11-23

Yay, you refered to me!

author
Spl1nt3rC3ll made it! (author)Spl1nt3rC3ll2008-12-05

Yay! :D

author
Taz94 made it! (author)2008-11-24

hey you can always put PVC 45 degree angle on it to aim it closer to your opponent. good job

author
Spl1nt3rC3ll made it! (author)Spl1nt3rC3ll2008-12-05

Thanks! Good point.

author
Side-winder made it! (author)2008-09-23

Not a bad plan, but the problem is you have to find the right spring.
when i tried to make something like this it would be too hard to pull the string and my target (best friend) didnt set it off, saw it, and came running after me with a 2x4.
the second time it was easy to set off, but the spring wasnt powerful enough to make the bbs go far enough.

my refined mine, is near perfect. but it took alot of thinking to get it.

im thinking about posting an instructable.

ttyl.

*!* tell me how this thing works. im interested *!*

author
jakee117 made it! (author)2008-07-15

very cool all of the mines out there are either expensive or suck out loud thanks for a refreshing change!

author
Bran made it! (author)2008-07-13

That's pretty neat!

author
Spl1nt3rC3ll made it! (author)Spl1nt3rC3ll2008-07-13

Thanks! I'm putting the finishing touches on the final version.

author
onlyonebowman made it! (author)2008-07-13

Great Job!!

author
Spl1nt3rC3ll made it! (author)Spl1nt3rC3ll2008-07-13

Thanks!

author
Weissensteinburg made it! (author)2008-07-12

Good idea...you may be able to bury this one, too, if you want.

author
Sun Gear made it! (author)2008-07-12

thats brilliant! why didnt i ever think of that.

author
Spl1nt3rC3ll made it! (author)Spl1nt3rC3ll2008-07-12

Thanks!

author
Sun Gear made it! (author)2008-07-12

it looks pretty good to me but you should attach the spring to the bottom of the tube/mine so it doesn't go flying out and losing it.

author
Spl1nt3rC3ll made it! (author)Spl1nt3rC3ll2008-07-12

That's going to be one of the upgrades in the final version. This is currently just a proof of concept model.

author
bumpus made it! (author)2008-07-12

well, not necessarily dead, but have little bb's flying at you...

author
Spl1nt3rC3ll made it! (author)Spl1nt3rC3ll2008-07-12

In airsoft that counts as a kill.

author
bumpus made it! (author)bumpus2008-07-12

true..

author
mikeasaurus made it! (author)2008-07-12

pretty clever. I'm always amazed at the lengths people who play Airsoft and Paintball go to to add just that little extra to the game to make it more like real combat, check those angles! It'd be nice to see a video of this in action!

author
LinuxH4x0r made it! (author)2008-07-12

Nice!

About This Instructable

12,182views

27favorites

License:

Bio: Avid Geocacher and fan of all things iBles.
More by Spl1nt3rC3ll:Security Camera Safe CommercialHow to Build a Simple Security Camera SafeHigh Speed Videography for Beginners.
Add instructable to: