Introduction: Prototype Yourself!
What are the “boundaries” we place around the images we make of ourselves? This device invokes the metaphor of the frame to explore how we create virtual boundaries for the digital performance of self-representation.
The frame usually signals a performance of authorship. For instance, a painting frames an artist’s thought process materialized by brushstrokes. By imposing a physical frame around the digital self-portrait, the user is invited to explore a critical making of the self.
This device evokes a questioning of several components inherent to the act of self-image making, which are seldom visible to the self-portraitist in this making process:
- How do you prototype your self - that is, how do you routinely engage in a process of designing, evaluating, and reshaping your self-representation, depending on social contexts?
- How is this process of self-prototyping manifested in your use of technology and digital social platforms?
- To what extent is it possible to exercise authorship of your self-representation in this socio-technological context?
Step 1: Materials and Hardware
- Colour Paper
- Wood bars
- Arduino or Genuino Board
- 1/2 size breadboard
- Mini Servo Motor
- 50k ohm potentiometer
- Tactile Switch Push Button
- 16*2 Character LCD
- USB cable
- 2 220 Ohm Resistors
- 1 470 Ohm Resistor
Step 2: Assembling Process
- Attach two wood bars to the box as the phone stand
- Build up the circuit board according to the schematics
- Combine the circuit board with the box
- Attach the card board to the servo
- Fix the servo to the box
- Decorate the box
Step 3: Arduino Circuit
We referred to the LCD schematics in the tutorial and add a button and a 50k Ohm potentiaometer to alternate the judges and adjust the indicator.
Step 4: Arduino Code
Please find the code in the attached file.
Step 5: Testing
- Connect the device to a computer equipped with Arduino to test.
- Press the button to see whether the first line of LCD screen displays a "judge" in a certain context, and the second line displays "0% approval" at default.
- Adjust the potentiometer according to your evaluation of the self portrait under certain context, and check whether the framed is raised to the angle degree mapping to the app.
For the step-by-step usage instruction, please refer to link here: