Difficulty:easy..Wire cutting and splicing
Step 1: Supplies and Tools
Things you will need:
- Wire cutters (or scissors)
- USB cord you are willing to sacrifice
- Jumper cables for a breadboard (or just normal wire if you do not need to use with a breadboard)
- *Not pictured* Electrical tape
Step 2: Prepare the Cord
- Cut the USB cord about 6" from the base
- Strip the outer casing, taking care not to harm the wires inside (if you do that's okay, just cut off your mistake and try again closer to the base)
- Carefully sort the inside wires and you should see 4 colored wires, some string, and insulating wire.
- Keep the red and black wires and cut everything else away
Step 3: Splice Wires Together
- Strip the outer coating of the red and black wires from the USB cable and the two wires you will be attaching.
- Twist the red wires together along with both blacks.
- Fold down one of the wires along the USB cable and tape it down.
- Repeat step 3 with the other wire.
- Reinforce the entire thing with tape to ensure it does not come apart.
Step 4: Plug and Test
Plug your creation into a wall adapter, computer port, power bank or whatever else you own that has a USB port and test it out! I plugged mine into a power bank and the Vin and GND pins of my Arduino. A quick look at the indicator light showed that it powered on and my creation worked!
Please feel free to comment!