Introduction: Punjabi Style Chicken Curry
This chicken recipe is from Punjab, India. Punjab is located in northern part of India. Punjabi cuisine is well known for it's chicken curry and lamb recipes across the world. Ingredients used in recipes comes from tradition and old ways of cooking. GMO ingredients are never used in these recipes. Each and every ingredient used comes from farms. Fresh and healthy.
Step 1: Collect All Ingredients
1. Chicken - 1
2. Onion slices - 2
3. Finely chopped tomato - 3
4. Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
5. Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
6. Black Cardamom - 3
7. Green Cardamom - 1
8. Clove - 1
9. Black pepper - 1 small tsp.
10. Bay leaf - 3
11. Cinnamon - 2 small pieces.
12. Oil - 3 tsp.
13. Green chili - 3
14. Finely chopped coriander - 1/4 bunch.
15. Red chili p/w - 1 tsp.
16. Turmeric p/w - 1/2 tsp.
17. Ginger & garlic paste - 1 tsp.
18. salt - according to taste.
Step 2: Heating Pan and Adding Few Ingredients
First, heat the deep pan and roast the whole spices.
Black & Green cardamom
- Dry roast these ingredients for about one minute on a low flame. Make sure it doesn't burn. After roasting, we will remove it from pan and place it to another separate plate.
Step 3: Grind the Roasted Ingredients
-Roasted ingredients removed from pan will go to mixer and we will mix them to make a powder.
- Make sure all the ingredients are will crushed.
Step 4: Let's Start Cooking
- Turn ON flame at medium or high, depending upon your cooking experience how fast can you cook.
- Add 3 tea spoons of oil in a pan.
- Heat them to a certain level so that you can add onions to it.
- Add sliced onions to it.
- Stir them for a little while on low heat.
- Make sure they turn brown within 5-7 minutes.
Step 5: Frying Onions
- After cooking sliced onions for about 5-7 minutes. it will look like as shown above.
- Add Ginger & garlic paste to it.
- Stir it properly. Make sure it completely dissolves in it.
- Adding Ginger & garlic paste takes off raw smell from onions.
- We will cook it for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then, we will add green peppers to it.
After, we will cover the pan with it's lid for about 2 minutes. Making sure onions and peppers turn soft. It will form a little bit texture of gravy.
Step 6: Adding Spices and Making of Gravy
Now, we will add
- Turmeric powder
- red chili
- Stir it and make sure it takes a form of gravy. We will keep on cooking it for about two minutes, making sure oil gets separated from gravy.
- After, cooking gravy for two minutes. we will add chopped tomatoes to it.
-Similarly, tomatoes will be cooked for few minutes until they get soft.
- Then, we will cover our pan for about two minutes.
- After two minutes, we will get a gravy with all ingredients cooked properly.
- We will keep on stirring it for few minutes. Just to make sure it's well cooked.
Step 7: Adding Chicken Pieces
- Immediately after when gravy is ready, we will add chicken pieces.
-Chicken can be bone less also. But, for better taste i would prefer with bones.
- Then we will start adding chicken pieces slowly and cook at medium flame.
- After adding chicken pieces, we will keep on stirring it for a little while so that chicken gets completely dipped in gravy.
Step 8: Add 'Garam Masala'
- It is the same powder we made at the very first. The roasted ingredients powder.
- After our chicken is completely dipped in gravy we will be adding 'Garam masala powder' about one tea spoon.
- Then stir is completely.
-Make sure it's completely dissolved in gravy.
- Then we will cover it with pan cover and we will cook for 5 minutes at slow flame.
- By doing so, the taste of gravy will add to chicken pieces and make them much more juicy.
- After 5 minutes, remove pan's lid and add one cup of water to increase the amount of gravy.
- You can add water according to your preference of gravy thickness.
- Stir it for like 30 seconds.
Step 9: Adding Salt
- Now depending upon personal preferences, add little bit salt into it.
- I would recommend 1 standard tea spoon.
- Mix it thoroughly.
- Then we will cover our pan again and cook at medium flame for about 15 minutes.
- Time can be more than fifteen minutes also. depending upon chicken.
- Keep checking on side.
- When you feel that chicken is well cooked now.
- Turn off the flame and leave it for about 15 more minutes.
Step 10: Adding Coriander Leaves
- When your chicken is completely cooked.
- Add coriander leaves on the top before serving.
- Usually this style chicken curry goes with rice or bread.
- Depending upon gravy you can decide either to go with rice or bread.