"Quick Lightweight Travel Laptop Desk"
Step 1: Materials and tools you'll need
Block of soft foam
Styrofoam plate or cardboard sheet
Old T-shirt or fabric
"3M Super 77" spray glue
Hot wire foam cutter (or serrated bread knife will work in a pinch)
Drill and driver
Razor blade knife and blades
Step 2: Measuring the foam form to fit your lap
1. Measure your lap in a seated position, width and length.
2. Transfer those measurements to the flat surface of your foam.
3. Using a straight edge draw your cut lines.
4.Using a hot wire foam cutter or a serrated bread knife cut your from block to that matching shape.
Step 3: Bevel the foam for comfort
5. Measure your foam on the side about halfway up, and mark this spot.
6. Measure about 4 inches out (for a place to rest your wrists) and draw a straight line between the 2 points.
7. From the end of the wrist line to the corner of the other side of the foam use a straight edge to draw all your angle.
8. Using a couple of pieces of scrap wood make a base the width of your foam and screw 2 pieces of straight edge wood to the base matching the angles of your cuts.
9. Using your foam cutter or serrated knife drag the edge of the wood guides to cut the foam dragging the hot wire or blade cross the edges of the wood, making a nice smooth cut.
Step 4: Semi hard surface mounting
To make a semi hard surface I'm using a Styrofoam tray by cutting off the edges to have a flat surface (alternatively you could use a piece of cardboard).
10. Cut your flat surface a little larger than your foam form.
11. Using 3M Super 77 spray glue coat your foam and lay your board overlapping the edges.
12. Give it a few minutes to dry flip over the form I'm using a razor blade knife trim the edges.
Step 5: Dressing the desk
13. Using an old t-shirt trim the excess arms and neckline away, then slide the shirt over the foam desk.
14. Coat one edge of the foam desk with the spray glue and apply the edge of a t shirt, making sure lay it smoothly with no wrinkles.
15. Next cut the shirt up the back and fold back the fabric; start spraying, stretching, and applying the fabric to every surface of the desk wrapping it like a present, folding the edges as nearly as possible.