Introduction: Quick & Tasty Couscous Meals Using Just Hot Water
These 2 quick & tasty couscous recipes using only hot water are great for eating cheap and healthy while traveling and are huge life savers for dorm room and military based living.
You don't need any kitchen equipment but just access to hot water by using a kettle or a coffee maker to make two versions of warm and tasty couscous meals: vegetarian and pescatarian. You can also diversify this recipe by adding chickpeas/tofu for a vegan option or adding deli meats for meat options.
Calorie & Macro Information for Both Meals:
Vegetarian Version: 250 calories, 41C, 3.4 fiber, 4 F, 11 P
Pescatarian Version: 263 calories, 40 C, 3.4 fiber, 1 F, 21.8 P
100 g dry couscous
Pre-boiled water using a kettle or coffee machine
Spinach (about 80 g total)
Canned tuna drained (56 g/2 oz drained)
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Pour about 100 g of dry couscous into a big bowl and add in just enough hot water to barely cover. Stir and cook for 2 min.
2. Add in a few handfuls of spinach and top with hot water. Stir until the spinach is mixed in with the couscous.
3. Keep adding in spinach and hot water until all of the spinach is mixed in with the couscous.
4. Drain the excess liquid into a bowl or into a sink and add more hot water to further cook the couscous and spinach. Drain again, add more water, then drain again. Repeat 2 to 3 times until the spinach and couscous are thoroughly cooked. Takes about 5 min.
5. Divide this into 2 portions and add the protein choices and seasoning:
Vegetarian: 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese + salt/pepper
Pescatarian: 1 can drained tuna + salt/pepper
6. Mix very well then ready to serve.
For more protein:
Use more low fat cheese such as fat free mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese.
Use more canned tuna or add additional deli meat such as turkey, chicken, or beef.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.