Picture of Quick and easy step up transformer driver
This will show you how to set up a power transformer driver which can be used to power flyback transformers and various other transformers. The driver is the speed controller out of a cordless drill.

Step 1: Collect all that you need.

Picture of Collect all that you need.
You will need:
The speed controller out of a cordless drill.
A small neon indicator lamp or other gas tube.
A step up transformer. You can wind one yourself or use a flyback.
A battery. Mine is 7.2 volts
aasmd3 years ago
can you please tell me the serial number of the electronic component mounted on that heat sink?it would be great cause i reallly need it,if you can send me a email,thanks
Rbwood4 years ago
Don't take this the wrong way but, this doesn't really tell you how to do anything.
doepy4 years ago
i found that drills use high frequency and powered a mot with it
sdobbie (author)  doepy4 years ago
What is a mot?
Microwave Oven Transformer   M.O.T or MOT or mot
miks54 years ago
can we have LED instead of neon indicator lamp or other gas tube
sdobbie (author)  miks54 years ago
It would really not be useful for an LED. You would be better off powering an LED directly from a battery. This setup without the transformer would be good for high powered laser diodes.
N3v3rm0r34 years ago
Step up transformer? How can one wind one?
sdobbie (author)  N3v3rm0r34 years ago
If you get a toroid out of a power supply or get a small transformer out of a wall switching power supply like the ones used for powering laptops or charging phones. You then need to remove all the windings from the transformer. To make a step up one, just wind 6 turns of thick wire for a primary then varnish them and for the secondary wind 1000 turns. You need quite a lot of amps to power one.