Cooked carrots, onion, peas, broccoli... I bet you could even put some chunks of cooked sweet potato, or spinach in there! creativity is on your side.
Since we are using a seasoning packet I don't use any additional salt on the filling.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1.5Lb of 80/20 ground beef
- Half a cup of frozen corn
- 8oz of button mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 1 packet of Coleman's Shepherds pie seasoning
- 1 cup of water
- 3 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp of dried oregano
- 1 Tsp of onion powder
- Black pepper
- A pinch of paprika
- Half a cup of whole milk
Ingredients for the mashed potatoes:
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut
- Half a cup of milk
- 3 Tbsp of butter
- Half a cup of sour cream
- 1 Tsp of garlic powder
- Set your oven for 400F.
- Start the potatoes boiling.
In one cup of water add the seasoning packet, stir and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan heat the olive oil. Add the ground beef and the secret ingredient: whole milk! the milk keeps the meat moist and tender.
- Add the parsley, onion powder and black pepper. Use a potato masher to separate the ground beef.
- Cook until well browned.
- Drain on a colander.
- Return the meat to the sauté pan.
- Add mushrooms, frozen corn and the prepared shepherds pie seasoning.
- Set aside while you make the mashed potatoes.
- Drain potatoes and return to the pan
- Add milk, butter, sour cream, garlic powder, salt and pepper
Mash it until smooth. You want the potatoes to be very moist since we are going to put this in the oven next.
- Spoon mashed potatoes on top of the meat filling and smooth it.
- Drizzle olive oil over potatoes, sprinkle some oregano, paprika, salt and pepper over it all. This will give a nice color to the spicy crust.
- Put the whole pan in the pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pie bubbles around the edges.
-Remove from the pie the over and let it sit for 10 minutes. the juices will settle and the pie will become easier to spoon.
- Serve and enjoy.
This recipe feeds 4 people.