This easy Shepherd's pie is versatile and quick to make. You can use any combination of veggies.
Cooked carrots, onion, peas, broccoli... I bet you could even put some chunks of cooked sweet potato, or spinach in there! creativity is on your side.
Since we are using a seasoning packet I don't use any additional salt on the filling.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1.5Lb of 80/20 ground beef
- Half a cup of frozen corn
- 8oz of button mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 1 packet of Coleman's Shepherds pie seasoning
- 1 cup of water
- 3 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp of dried oregano
- 1 Tsp of onion powder
- Black pepper
- A pinch of paprika
- Half a cup of whole milk
Ingredients for the mashed potatoes:
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut
- Half a cup of milk
- 3 Tbsp of butter
- Half a cup of sour cream
- 1 Tsp of garlic powder
- Set your oven for 400F.
- Start the potatoes boiling.
In one cup of water add the seasoning packet, stir and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan heat the olive oil. Add the ground beef and the secret ingredient: whole milk! the milk keeps the meat moist and tender.
- Add the parsley, onion powder and black pepper. Use a potato masher to separate the ground beef.
- Cook until well browned.
- Drain on a colander.