Create your own personalized coasters using lettered tiles or colored glass tiles. These are fun and easy homemade gifts, or lovely accents for your own home. This project is appropriate for surpervised kids, teens, and adults.
Step 1: Materials
1. Collect Materials
Materials (Makes up to 16 coasters)
1 square foot of cork board (1/8” thick)
Large selection of scrabble letter tiles and/or colorful glass tiles (16, ¾” x ¾” tiles per coaster)
Hot glue gun
2 extra hot glue sticks
box cutter knife
Use caution, this project requires the use of a sharp cutting utensil and a hot glue gun. Adult supervision is recommended for children.
2. Plug in hot glue gun.
3. Determine what pattern of lettered and/or colored tiles you want for your coaster. Each coater consists of 16 tiles arranged in a four x four pattern.
Step 4: Measure
4. Take the cork board, pencil, and ruler. Trace 3"x3" squares on the cork board starting in one of the corners. The number of squares should equal the number of coasters you want to make.
Step 5: Cut
5. Use a box cutter knife, on a safe cutting surface (cutting board), to cut out the 3” x 3” squares. Use caution when using knife.
6. Place the square of cork board on a flat surface. Then take the letter or glass tiles and make sure they are in the four x four pattern you desire.
Step 7: Glue
7. Take the tile that will be in the top left hand corner of the coaster and place a small dot of hot glue on the back. Carefully place it, glue side down, in its place on the cork board. The tile should be lined up and square with the corner. Repeat this step, going row by row, until all the tiles have been glued to the cork board. Burn Warning!
9. After all the tiles have been glued onto the cork board take the cutting board (or a large, hardback book) and press it firmly on top of the coaster for one minute to ensure an even surface.
Step 9: Finished!
9. After the tiles have set for one minute the coaster is ready for use. Repeat steps 3-9 to make additional coasters.