Hi guys. I´m back with a new project. As some of you may know, I created a MAME machine
titled R-Kaid-6 (http://www.instructables.com/id/R-Kaid-6-8/) A year or so had passed, and I felt like I wanted to refine that concept. So I begun sketching on a new design called "Redelux". For the total experience, a small beamer and a desent sound system were to be integrated. The two custom-built joysticks will, just as its predecessor R-Kaid-6, fit into a recess at the top when not in use. There they´ll rest upside down creating a table like surface.
Cons of the origin R-Kaid-6:
- Too many external sources
- Controller cables everywere
So basicly I wanted to:
- Simplyfy and minimaze interfering cables
- Have one power cable for a complete system
- Make wireless joystick pads
- Hide I/O ports better
Additional features I wanted to include:
- Two wireless joystick controllers
- A detachable docking controller pad for the optional use of a trackball
- Integrated beamer
- Integrated sound system
- A new and improved custom made MAME frontend
- New frontpanel
So, this was a complex task, but who doesn´t like challanges?
Here´s a video of how the machine actually works:
Thanks for watching, I hope you´ll get something out of this.
For other works I´ve done, look here: http://www.lovehulten.com
See you on the pixel side!
/ Love Hultén "Quizz_kid"
Step 1: Hardware collecting
I started by getting the hardware, and then foucused on the airflow. A lot of stuff was going inside the wooden shell, and avoiding overheat was priority. I found these modest computer parts at a friends house:
- A small PSU
- Two satellite speakers and amp
- Motherboard with P4 CPU
- 120 GB disk
Then I searched around for a small beamer. I decided to go with the Dell M110, a small LED projector. This little fella is surprisingly good, with 300 ANSI and very low heat generation. Since it will be integrated within the console, I´ll only use the remote. But the IR-sensor sits on the back, so to get it up front I had to come up with something. I decided to try a fiber cable for extension of the sensor and it worked! Glad I didn´t had to solder in there.