This instructable will show you how to make an RC launch system for your Estes rocket, which can be operated with a TV remote. What it does is it allows you to press the center button on your TV remote, and it'll automatically launch your rocket. In this way it is basically a wireless version of the standard launch controller. But this is not all it does. You can use the up and down arrows on your remote to set a delay, and you can use its count-down feature to ignite it like a time-bomb. It works with just about every TV remote, and uses standard rocket igniters.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR OPERATION:
1. Clip alligator clips to igniter.
2. Plug 9v battery into Arduino.
3. The screen should say "0 delay"
4. Press up and down on your remote until it says the exact number of seconds you want it to countdown from.
5. When ready to launch, walk away from the rocket (without worrying about how far the cable stretches) and press the center button on your TV remote.
6. It'll countdown from the number you chose (displaying the countdown on the bottom row of the LCD) and your rocket will be up in the air!
Here is a poor quality video showing the device activating an igniter. Just imagine that the igniter is inside a rocket.
Step 1: Supplies
Here are all the supplies you'll need:
1 Estes Launch Controller
1 5v Relay
1 LCD screen (for displaying countdown)
1 IR receiver diode
1 NPN transistor
1 10k resistor
The IRremote library