Introduction: RECIPE | BUTTERNUT SQUASH FRITTERS
Butternut Squash Fritters are so easy to make and addictive to eat. They serve as a great appetizer. Fritters are usually made of potatoes but this one is made of butternut squash. egg, flour, garlic, parmigiana cheese and salt and pepper. The garlic really accentuates the taste of the squash and once you've had one, you'll finish half the plate in one sitting!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
YIELDS ABOUT 10 PIECES | PREP TIME 1 HOUR 30 MINS | COOK TIME 30 MINS
ADAPTED FROM JAMIE OLIVER
- 1 BUTTERNUT SQUASH (APPROX 9 INCHES IN HEIGHT)
- 1/4 CUP OF PARMIGIANA CHEESE GRATED
- 3/4 CUPS OF FLOUR
- 6 CLOVES OF MINCED GARLIC
- 1 EGG
- 1 TEASPOON OF SALT
- 1/2 TEASPOON OF PEPPER
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 OF RICOTTA CHEESE BUT IF YOU CHOOSE TO ADD THIS, INCREASE YOUR FLOUR TO ANOTHER 1/4 CUP UNTIL THE BATTER IS A THICK AND HEAVY CONSISTENCY
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake whole squash with skin on a baking sheet for 45 minutes. It's cooked when you poke a fork and it goes through squash easily
- Peel skin off with fork while squash is hot. Once peeled, slice squash in half to remove all the seeds
- In a large bowl, mash up squash with potato masher. Mix in salt, pepper, flour, egg, minced garlic, parmigiana cheese (and optional: ricotta cheese but add more flour to get a thick and heavy consistency). Combine well.
- In a large wide pan on medium high heat, pour 3 tablespoons of olive oil (you may need to add more as you fry).
- Using a large spoon, scoop a dollop of the mixture into the hot oil. Flatten edges with fork to get them crispier than the middle
- Fry until golden brown on each side and repeat these steps until all your fritters are done
- Garnish with some parmigiana cheese