Introduction: RECIPE | CHICKEN PAD SEW
This is an inspired Chicken Pad Sew. It's not normally made with Pea Shoots but I had them in my fridge so I used them in this recipe and it gave the noodles some crunch. So if you're not a big pea shoot fan, feel free to substitute it with a Bok Choy or a leafy Asian green. If you're also reducing on your meat consumption, you can substitute the chicken with tofu. As for a vegetarian alternative for oyster sauce, Lee Kum Kee sells a vegetarian stir fry sauce at my local Asian grocer (T&T) so feel free to try that out. I really enjoy this dish because of the sauce, it gives the noodles a salty savoury flavour along with the garlic, vegetables and chicken. It's pretty quick to make as well.
In this recipe, I recommend using certified humane meat and free-range organic eggs for best flavour and health. I've mentioned previously that it's incredibly important to me and my husband to consume humane meat free of hormones or antibiotics. It's not healthy to be consuming inhumane meat as it carries a lot of disease, hormones and antibiotics to force the animals to grow faster for a higher turnaround in sales. It's also important that we respect the animals we eat by supporting the humane treatment of them, as they live a life only for consumption. If you're looking for a few brands that support certified humane animal produce, check out the links below:
- Humane Chicken by Blue Goose Pure Foods
- Humane Beef by Aspen Ridge Beef
- Humane Pork by DuBreton
-Free-range organic eggs by Burnbrae Farms
I hope you give this recipe a try and please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by the companies listed in this post.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
Adapted from Recipe Tin Eats
SERVES 2 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 10 MINS
- 700 grams of thin flat rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 small packs of pea shoots washed and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 certified humane chicken breast sliced
- 1 organic free-range egg
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce or vegetarian stir fry sauce by Lee Kum Kee
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp of cane sugar
- 2 tbsp of avocado oil
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- In a large pot of boiling water, throw in your noodles and subtract a couple of minutes from specified cooking time for "Al-Dente" texture so you do not lose the springy texture of the noodles. Strain noodles in a colander.
- Combine the soy sauces, oyster sauce, white vinegar, and cane sugar in a separate bowl.
- In a wok, add the oil and garlic and heat the wok to high heat. Once the garlic becomes fragrant, add in the sliced chicken and cook on each side until it turns white. Lower heat to medium and add in pea shoots frying for 30 seconds. Push the pea shoots and chicken to the side, crack in the egg and scramble until cooked.
- Add in noodles and sauce. Mix everything together. Serve immediately and enjoy!