Prior to my journey of eating clean, I used to think zucchini noodles were "too vegan" for me but I was reminded of that saying "Don't knock it until you've tried it". This dish is addictive. The zucchini noodles are a game changer especially with my classic garlic tomato sauce - the two compliment each other so well! When I have this dish, it still surprises me that I'm consuming all vegetables and no carbohydrates. Give this recipe a shot and if you're successful, let me know in the comments section below.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 2 | PREP TIME 25 MINS | COOK TIME 20 MINS
ADAPTED FROM MAMA EARTH ORGANICS
- 4-6 Zucchini's cut through a Spiralizer *You will need this tool*
- 1 tablespoon of Salt
Garlic Tomato Sauce
- 3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 cloves of garlic sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cups of canned Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/8 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon of dried Oregano flakes
- 1 Handful of Fresh Basil leaves chopped
- 1 cup of Parmigiana grated Salt and Pepper to taste
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
1. Use a Spiralizer to cut your zucchini noodles
2. Place noodles in a colander and evenly sprinkle 1 tablespoon of salt over noodles. Allow the noodles to absorb salt to release the water for 5 minutes. Then squeeze out the excess water but don't squish your noodles
3. Time to make your sauce! Set a large skillet to medium heat. Add olive oil.
4. Add garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Don't let it turn brown.
5. Throw in dried oregano and red pepper flakes.
6. Lower the heat, slowly pour the crushed tomatoes in. Raise heat to medium and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes
7. Add in half of your basil leaves and stir
8. Then add in your half of your parmigiana cheese and combine well in sauce
9. Throw in your noodles and cook for 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Add in the remaining basil and toss. Garnish with remaining parmigiana.