Introduction: RECIPE | GRILLED MUSHROOM CHEESE SANDWICH
Grilled cheese sandwiches are delicious and they're so simple to make. So why not add some additional health benefits to this easy meal? In this sandwich are sauteed mushrooms and onions. Button mushrooms are like a secreted super food, no one ever talks about their health benefits. They may be small but they are powerful. Before you dive into this recipe, check out some of their advantages below:
- Button Mushrooms reduce inflammation and prevent heart disease by not allowing plaque to stick to the walls of your arteries. - They defend the body from different cancers. "In June 2010, the department of plant pathology at Penn State released a report stating that button mushrooms have been found effective at treating breast, colon and prostate cancers". - Button mushrooms contain high levels of copper that are required for blood cell growth and it assists in taking care of the heart - By eating more mushrooms you are increasing the number of natural killer cells that can defend the body against foreign invaders like viruses or cancer cells. This helps boost immunity.
Facts are sourced from Live Strong
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
YIELDS 4 SANDWICHES | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 30 MINS
- 8 SLICES OF WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
- 8 SLICES OF SWISS CHEESE
- 1 PINT OF MUSHROOMS, SLICED
- 1 WHOLE WHITE ONION, THINLY SLICED
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL FOR FRYING
COOKING TOOL: FRYING PAN, SPATULA
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Prepare ingredients as listed above.
- In a large frying pan set on medium heat, pour 1 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Once it's hot, toss in your thinly sliced onions. Fry until softened and fragrant. Then add in the sliced mushrooms and fry until the mushrooms are brown and liquids have evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Next transfer the cooked onions and mushrooms aside. Clean the pan and set it back on the stove top on low-medium heat.
- Per sandwich, pour in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Lay two slices of bread onto the oil allowing each slice to coat evenly - this helps the bread to brown evenly. Next lay a slice of Swiss cheese onto each bread slice.
- Scoop about a quarter of your cooked mushrooms and onions onto one slice of bread. Then close the sandwich with the other slice. Press down on sandwich with a spatula so that the cheese and mushrooms meld together. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread.