Introduction: RECIPE | MUSHROOM MEDLEY STUFFING
When I made the conscious choice to become a part-time vegetarian I thought, "What am I going to eat?". My diet was meat heavy (about one serving of meat per meal) but I knew if I slowly weaned myself off it, it would encourage my family and I to eat more greens and more importantly, eat in a way to support a sustainable earth. As I started to research vegetarian recipes, I realized the idea is not so scary after all. After committing to this goal for more than a year, I haven't looked back, I feel healthier and cleaner. This recipe is a great vegetarian side dish for those who want to make that transition or if you're a mushroom lover! It's inspired by Chef Jamie Oliver with a few adjustments and the greatest thing about it is you can choose any savoury mushroom you'd like (I would avoid using Shiitake Mushrooms as it's a sweeter mushroom). Enjoy!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 6 | PREP TIME 35 MINS | COOK TIME 45 MINS
Adapted from Jamie Oliver's Mixed Mushroom Stuffing
2 Shallots finely chopped
4 Cloves of Garlicfinely chopped
560 grams (or 2 small containers) of Cremini Mushrooms chopped
230 grams (or 1 small container) of White Button Mushrooms chopped
200 grams (or 1 small container) of Oyster Mushrooms chopped
350 grams of a baguette, torn up into pieces
100 grams of Hazelnuts/Chestnuts (or 50 g of hazelnuts and 50 g chestnuts) roughly chopped
1 handful of Fresh Parsley chopped
5 tbsps of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Bay Leaves
1 handful of Fresh Thyme Leaves stripped off stems
2 teaspoons of Salt1 teaspoon of Pepper
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop up your shallots, garlic, mushrooms, parsley and nuts separately.
- Tear baguette into large pieces and line the bottom of your deep baking dish with the pieces.In a separate bowl, grab a handful of mushrooms (could be a variety of each) & soak them in hot boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and reserve the liquid. We are creating a mushroom broth here for later.In a large frying pan on medium high heat, add 2 tbsps of olive oil and add the nuts in to fry until lightly toasted (approximately 2 minutes).
- Remove nuts from pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil on medium high in the same pan.
- Add shallots and garlic and fry until translucent (approx 1 minute). Do not allow it to turn brown.
- With the drained mushrooms and non-soaked mushrooms, fry with the shallots/garlic until soft.
- Add in thyme & bay leaves.With the juices from the pan, pour it over the baguette pieces in your baking dish.
- Once mushrooms are cooked, allow it to cool. Once cooled, mix in the nuts with salt and pepper.
- Spread mushroom & nut mixture over your bread until even.If stuffing is a bit dry, add 1/4 cup or more of the mushroom broth to the baking dish - this all depends on how moist you want your stuffing.
- Sprinkle half of the chopped parsley over the dish and reserve some for garnishing
- Bake in oven for 35 minutes while covered. Then bake for another 10 minutes uncovered.
- Garnish with the rest of the parsley.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.