Introduction: RECIPE | PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM BURGER
Portobello Mushroom Burgers are a delicious and healthy way to enjoy a burger without the beef patty. When my husband and I decided to become part time vegetarians, beef was the first meat to remove from our food staples. It was for health purposes first and now it's also for sustainability reasons. Animal agriculture is the largest producer of greenhouse gases. Ruminent animals produce methane which is far more potent and effective at global warming than carbon dioxide. In fact if we remove all automobile emissions, it's still not enough to stop the affects of climate change. If you're still shocked by this fact, I highly recommend watching the documentary Cowspiracy. Sometimes I miss the taste of beef but at the rapid rate of global warming and seeing the affects happening now only to get worse, I can't continue with my lifestyle hoping that someone else will fix the issue. After all, this will affect all of us and our future children.
After quitting on beef, I feel cleaner, less bloated and healthier. I don't have to go on diets to maintain my weight because my body doesn't have to work as hard to break down saturated fats but I still exercise to keep fit. In addition, I'm able to get proteins from fish, chicken and other plant based foods. So if you ask me, do I regret giving up beef? No, not at all. So give this Portobello Mushroom Burger a shot and I think you'll be surprised at how much you will like it.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 2 | PREP TIME 20 MINS | COOK TIME 20 MINS
INGREDIENTS FOR BURGER
2 PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS CLEANED WITH GILLS REMOVED
- 2 KAISER BUNS TOASTED
- SWISS CHEESE
- 1 ROMAINE LETTUCE
- 1 RED PEPPER SLICED
- 1 RED ONION SLICED
- 1 AVOCADO SLICED
- 1/4 TSP OF GARLIC SALT (SEASONING FOR AVOCADOS)
- SALT AND PEPPER
- GARLIC AIOLI DIP (get the recipe link here)
INGREDIENTS FOR MARINADE
- 2 GARLIC CLOVES MINCED
- 3 TBSP OF BALSAMIC VINEGAR
- 3 TBSP OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 1/2 TSP OF DRIED THYME
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above. Make sure to remove the gills from the mushroom caps with a spoon before marinating.
- Mix the balsmic vinegar, olive oil, thyme and minced garlic together. Marinade your portobello mushrooms for about 10 minutes.
- On a wide pan set to medium heat, add some olive oil into the pan and fry portobello mushrooms flipping them every now. Fry until tender or approximately 15 minutes with lid on.
- In another pan set on medium heat, fry your onions and peppers with some olive oil until tender (approx 8 -10 minutes) with lid on. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice avocadoes and season with garlic salt
- Meanwhile, slice and toast your kaiser buns.
- Now it's time to assemble your burger: spread garlic aioli onto buns, add desired amount of cheese, layer on the mushroom patty, and top off with avocados, red onions and peppers.