Before I begin talking about this recipe, I want to thank all my readers and new readers for the amount of support I received regarding my personal post "How Climate Change Changed My Life". I feel blessed to be surrounded with people who want to action change now and not later for this impending issue that affects us all. If you read, liked, commented, or shared this post - thank you from the bottom of my heart because by doing those things, it motivates others to read my post and want to action change as well. If you missed it, click here to read it. I hope it motivates you and your families to see how you can reduce your carbon footprint to save our home planet. I know collectively we can battle this issue if we don't procrastinate.
Now onto this rainbow of roasted vegetables! Roasting is one of my favourite ways to cook vegetables. If it's not a big batch of vegetables, I'll use the toaster oven because it's faster and more energy efficient than heating up the large conventional oven which wastes a lot of electricity. In this dish, the base is white and sweet potatoes accompanied by red onions and red peppers giving it that colourful effect. The drizzle of avocado sauce is optional for additional taste if you're not a fan of this fruit. It's a great side or main dish if you're trying to go meatless on some days like me and it really keeps me full. If you do add avocado sauce, try to consume the dish within two days as avocado tends to brown after oxidization.
Give it a shot and let me know what you think! If you make this dish, take a picture of it and tag me on social media as it may be featured on Fridays!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 6-8 | PREP TIME 30 MINS | BAKE TIME 30-35 MINS
- 1 RED PEPPER, DICED
- 2 SWEET POTATOES, PEELED & DICED
- 5 SMALL WHITE TABLE POTATOES, DICED (LEAVE SKIN ON)
- 1 RED ONION, DICED
- 1/2 TSP OF ONION SALT
- 1/2 TSP OF GARLIC POWDER
- 1 TSP OF PAPRIKA POWDER
- 1/4 TSP OF SALT
- 1/4 TSP OF PEPPER
- AVOCADO OIL
REQUIRED: LARGE REUSABLE BAKING SHEET
- 2 AVOCADOS, PEELED & DE-PITTED
- 1 TBSP OF AVOCADO OIL
- SALT TO TASTE
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Meanwhile, prepare your vegetables as listed above.
- Once all your vegetables are diced, spread them on a baking sheet in groups and by colour. Alternatively, you can mix all the vegetables together but you will not get that rainbow effect.
- Lightly drizzle the oil all over your vegetables.
- In a small bowl, mix together the spices. Evenly sprinkle the spices over the vegetables. Feel free to massage the oil and spices into the veggies.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 30-35 minutes. They should come out look golden and browned on the edges. Allow it to cool before serving.
- For your avocado sauce, blend the two avocados with some salt and avocado oil. Blend until smooth. Using an icing bag, pour the sauce into the bag cutting a small hole at tip of it. After the vegetables are ready to eat, drizzle the sauce over it.