Scalloped Potatoes are such a decadent way to eat potatoes. It's creamy, cheesy and smooth to taste. With a hint of leeks and onions, it really amps up the dish. This is a great side dish and it's perfect for vegetarians.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 6 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 1 HOUR 10 MINS
- 2 pounds of Potatoes peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 cup of Cream 1/4 cup of Butter
- 1/4 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup of Milk 2%
- 2 cups of grated Parmigiana Cheese
- 1 cup of Cheddar or Mozzerella Cheese
- 6 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Leek chopped
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Shallot finely diced
- 1 small handful of Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1 teaspoon of Paprika
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
1. Prepare your ingredients as listed above
2. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
3. In a large skillet set on medium heat, melt your butter.
4. Add onions and shallots to your skillet. Season with Salt and Pepper. Fry until translucent
5. Throw in your leeks and fry until the water content has evaporated
6. In a small bowl, mix together minced garlic and cream & milk
7. In a 9 x 12 deep casserole dish, brush the dish with olive oil and it's now time to layer your ingredients: Begin lining the dish with a layer of potatoes. Then add a thin layer of leeks, onions and shallots. Next add a layer of grated Parmigiana Cheese, Cheddar/Mozzarella Cheese. Sprinkle a light layer of flour, season it with some salt. Sprinkle some fresh thyme leaves. Lastly, pour 1/3 cup of the cream/milk/garlic mixture. Keep repeating the layers until all your ingredients are used. Important: the cream & milk should really only cover up to 3/4 of your dish. Anymore than that and your potatoes will be swimming in liquid - not good.
8. Bake uncovered for 60 minutes
9. Slice into squares and enjoy!