This is a simple tomato bruschetta recipe that is filled with flavour and crunch. I love this recipe because the topping requires zero marinating time but there is flavour right down to the baguette due to a special technique. Instead of throwing raw garlic in with the tomatoes, it's rubbed into the bread and that's the same for the tomato juices and seeds - I learned this special technique from chef Jamie Oliver. For a flavourful bruschetta, it's also important to source fresh ripe ingredients. Using local, organic or non-GMO ingredients is your best bet. The bread I'm using is by a Canadian company called Ace Bakery and they use non-GMO ingredients to make their fresh bread. It's available at most Loblaws in Canada. So give this recipe a shot, share with your loved ones and let me know what you think.
Note: I am not sponsored by Ace Bakery.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
YIELDS 12 PIECES | PREP TIME 20 MINS | BAKE TIME 5 MINS
- 12 INCH BAGUETTE SLICED in 1.5 CM THICK PIECES
- 255 GRAMS OF CHERRY TOMATOES SLICED IN HALVES
- SMALL HANDFUL OF FRESH BASIL LEAVES ROUGHLY CHOPPED
- 1 CLOVE OF GARLIC SLICED IN HALF
- 1/2 TABLESPOON OF BALSAMIC VINEGAR
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice your baguette into 1.5 cm pieces to form crisps and lay them out on a baking sheet. Prepare your cherry tomatoes and garlic clove by chopping them in half.
- With half of the garlic clove, begin rubbing the flavour of it onto each baguette crisp. If the garlic clove becomes too "dry" slice off a thin layer and begin rubbing again. Don't forget to use the other half.
- Using the juices and seeds of the cherry tomatoes, squeeze them onto the baguette crisp leaving the tomato skins aside. Use about 4 tomato halves per crisp.
- Sprinkle olive oil over the crisps and bake them in the oven for 5 minutes until toasted around the edges.
- Meanwhile roughly chop up your tomato skins and fresh basil leaves. In a medium size bowl, mix the tomatoes skins, basil and balsamic vinegar together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- After the crisps are toasted, top it off with your tomato basil mixture. Serve and enjoy!