In translation, this pasta is Garlic Oil Spaghetti. It's a quick simple and beloved Italian recipe. To forewarn you there is a spicy kick but you can simply remove the chili pepper flakes. There are very few ingredients making the sauce very light so don't expect a heavy sauce. The sauce is just a light coating of garlic oil. The beauty of this dish is how the garlic infuses the olive oil with a hint of spice from the red pepper flakes. I'm using parsley but if you don't like parsley, you can't swap it out for fresh basil or thyme. The trick to making this dish successful is under boiling the pasta. So if the package calls for 9 minutes, subtract a couple of minutes as you will be cooking this pasta in the sauce too.
In this recipe, I'm using organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil by Terra Delyssa and Delverde Spaghetti Pasta. Both of which are quality ingredients that I use time and time again. Delverde Pasta is made in Italy and one of their missions is: "To produce the best pure pasta from the purest water. This is the mission that we here at Delverde have pursued since the very beginning, in a setting that is close to nature and respectful of its values". Some of their packaging is also biodegradable but not all. Another great brand of Italian pasta I recommend is DeCecco as their boxes are recyclable. You can source Terra Delyssa Olive Oil from Costco and Delverde at most major Canadian Retailers.
Also if you're looking for a Eco-friendly cutting board, I'm using one by Architec. Their cutting board (see picture below) is "Made of recycled food-grade plastic and premium flax husk blend, the Architec Poly-Flax Cutting board offers you a durable kitchen essential, and adds colour to your kitchen". My husband purchased it at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
Anyway I hope you guys enjoy this pasta recipe! It's one of my go to dishes when I'm craving a pasta but don't want to invest the time to make a heavy sauce. Enjoy!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 3-4 | PREP TIME 5-7 MINS | COOK TIME 10 MINS
- 1 pack of spaghetti (450 GRAMS)
- 1 small handful of flat Italian parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp of red chili pepper flakes
- 6-8 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of reserved hot pasta water
- salt to taste
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Boil your spaghetti in large pot filled with salted hot water. To know how long you should boil it for: take the instructed cooking time and subtract 2 minutes. For instance, if the cooking time on the package says "9 minutes" subtract 2 minutes from that and you should only boil your pasta for 7 minutes total. Reserve 1/2 cup of hot pasta water.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet set on medium heat, add your olive oil right away along with sliced garlic. We want to slowly infuse the oil with the garlic. Sweat the garlic until egdes become slightly brown.
- Add in chili flakes (optional) and then add in parsley or herb of your choice.
- Once pasta is cooked and strained, pour pasta into the skillet. Pour in the hot pasta water and mix well until every noodle is coated in oil. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve immediately and garnish with some more chopped herbs. Enjoy!