Introduction: RECIPE | SPINACH DIP
Spinach Dip is my favourite kind with bread, chips or chilled vegetables. It's creamy and full of spinach goodness. This recipe does call for some extra time and love but the taste of this dip makes it all worthwhile in the end because it contains zero preservatives! Other recipes require a package of soup mix which can contain some unhealthy additives. With this recipe, you also won't ever have to buy shelf stable dip from the grocers ever again! Spinach Dip is great to share with friends especially with a loaf of warm Pumpernickel bread.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
PRODUCES: 3 CUPS | PREP TIME 10 MINS | COOK TIME 10 MINS | TOTAL COOLING TIME: 15 MINUTES + 3 HOURS (READ INSTRUCTIONS)
ADAPTED FROM SOBEY'S CLASSIC SPINACH DIP
- 500 grams of frozen Spinach, thawed & strained
- 1/2 of a large Onion finely chopped (opt for Organic Onions)
- 3/4 cup of Mayonnaise (opt for Organic Mayonnaise)
- 3/4 cup of Sour Cream (opt for Organic or Natural)
- 3 tsp of Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Salt
- 1/4 tsp of Pepper
- Pairs well with Pumpernickel bread, vegetable sticks or chips.
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Prepare your ingredients as per the list above. Important: Squeeze and strain all the water from your thawed spinach
- In a small pan, set to medium heat. Add your olive oil. Throw in your finely chopped onions and saute until slightly brown approximately 7 minutes
- Add your strained spinach and cook for 3 minutes
- Scoop out your spinach and onion mix and allow it to cool in the fridge for about 15 minutes
- Once spinach mixture is cooled, add in mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper and combine very well
- Let the dip sit in the fridge for 3 hours to allow flavours to soak in, but if you're impatient like me, you can probably start dipping right away!
- Serve dip with Pumpernickel bread by chopping up the loaf into pieces to allow for easy dipping. You can also serve with vegetable sticks. Enjoy!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.