Introduction: RECIPE | STUFFED PEPPERS
Hope you’re all having a great week! This week I’m sharing a recipe for Stuffed Peppers. It’s filling, meatless and great for a weekend supper, when you have some extra time on your hands. It’s also a handy recipe if you have cooked rice in the fridge! I’m not going to lie, this recipe was totally trial-based when I first made it over the weekend. I’ve always heard about the idea of stuffed peppers but because it takes some time to make, I was worried that it wouldn’t turn out the way I imagined it to be and it would be a complete waste of my time and effort. I almost made an error on the brown rice because I hadn’t realized it takes so long to cook! You have to soak it for 10 minutes first before you boil it (but it may vary for the rice you may choose to cook with). Alternatively, you can always use white rice. All in all, it worked out and I’m really glad all that time and effort was worth it.
Aside from that, I attended my friend’s baby shower over the weekend. My friend and I haven’t caught up with each other in over a decade. We were reunited because my brother and her youngest sister are getting married next year. I remember the day when my brother had told me he was seeing my friend’s sister. We hadn’t even introduced them to each other, and by fate, they began dating and now our families are joining together. It seriously is such a small world!
Back to this recipe, I’m using Terra Delyssa Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Victoria Fine Foods Marinara Sauce, and organic local produce found at Sobeys. It’s great that some large grocers offer access to local produce as farmer's markets may not be accessible to all. Usually in the summer time, my husband and I will try to support the local farmers because the produce is fresher as it hasn’t been transported miles away in a truck. The produce is not over-packaged in plastic that ends up being recycled or thrown into the landfill. You also have the chance to meet the people behind the food you’re about to eat. It's also a lot of fun being able to buy your fruits and veggies outside. So if you ever have the chance to visit your local farmer's market, give it a shot!
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured.
Take good care,
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
YIELDS 4 STUFFED PEPPERS | PREP TIME 30 MINS | COOKING TIME 75 MINS
- 2 bell peppers, any colour of your choice, halved with seeds and stem removed
- 1/2 measuring cup of brown or white rice, cooked in advance
- 1 1/2 cups of cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of black beans, rinsed and strained
- 1/3 cup of canned or frozen corn
- 1/2 small cooking onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp of paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1 cup of marinara sauce
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Optional garnish: Fresh cilantro chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Required: Baking dish
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Cook rice in a rice cooker or on stove top according to package instructions. If you plan on using brown rice, this may take additional time due to the harder texture.
- Meanwhile, prepare ingredients as listed above.
- In a large pan set on medium heat, add in the olive oil. Then add onions, garlic and cook until soft and fragrant. Next add chopped mushrooms. Cook until they are browned.
- To your pan: add spices, **1/2 cup** of marinara sauce (leaving the rest for later) and mix well. Then add cooked rice, black beans, corn and combine until rice is well coated in sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove off heat.
- Prepare your oven to 350 degrees F. In the meantime, assemble the stuffed peppers. Scoop enough rice stuffing into one bell pepper halve. Top off with 1 tbsp of marinara sauce. Lightly drizzle some olive oil over stuffed pepper. Place on baking tray. Repeat for remaining peppers. Bake for 60 mins until peppers have softened. You may garnish with some chopped cilantro. Serve immediately and enjoy!