Introduction: RECIPE | VEGGIE BURGER
My husband is a big veggie burger fanatic. When we used to eat beef he really enjoyed a good burger and now that we don't we've found a tasty and healthy substitute for it. The base of this burger is black beans and it's great for someone like me who has a hard time eating beans. I've never been a fan of them but this really helps to get my source of protein and iron. I hope you enjoy this Veggie Burger recipe.
*Per 100 grams of Black Beans or Beef
- PROTEIN: Black beans carry 21 grams of protein and beef only carry 14 grams
- FAT: Black beans carry 0.9 grams of fat and beef carries a whopping 30 grams
- IRON: Black beans carry 8.6 grams of iron and beef only carries 1.6 grams Black beans do not carry carcinogens, hormones nor superbugs but beef can carry all of those
- WATER USAGE: Per 1 gram of protein, Beef uses up 29.6 gallons of water and black beans only use up 5 gallons
- GREENHOUSE GAS EMITTED: Beef releases 15 kg of Carbon Dioxide and Black Beans only release 0.56 kg!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME 30 MINS | COOK TIME 16 MINS PER PATTY
- 4 KAISER BUNS
- 3/4 CUP OF ITALIAN BREADCRUMBS
- 1/2 OF A BELL PEPPER (ANY COLOUR OF YOUR CHOICE)
- 1 SHALLOT CHOPPED
- 3 GARLIC CLOVES CHOPPED
- 1 EGG
- 1x16 OZ CAN OF BLACK BEANS RINSED AND DRAINED
- 1/2 TSP OF GARLIC SALT
- 1/2 TSP OF CAJUN SPICE
- 1/4 TSP OF PAPRIKA
- 1/4 TSP OF SALT OLIVE OIL FOR FRYING
- TOOL: FOOD PROCESSOR & POTATO MASHER
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Prepare ingredients as listed above
- Mash your black beans with a potato masher. Then finely mash it with a fork until the beans come to a thick paste (see below for a picture)
- Mix egg with garlic salt, salt, paprika and Cajun spice
- In your food processor, blend your chopped bell pepper, shallot and garlic cloves
- Mix in the bell pepper mixture with your mashed beans and stir well.
- Then add in your egg and spice mixture and combine.
- Finally add in your breadcrumbs a bit at a time until everything is thick enough to form a patty
- Divide your patty mixture into 4 sections and roll each section into a ball. Then flatten the ball and push the centre down a bit while leaving the edges as is. See below picture for final patty shape.
- If frying, on a wide pan set to medium - high heat, add in some extra virgin olive. Lay each patty in and fry each side for 7 minutes on medium heat. Patties may get a little brown or "burnt" looking but they will taste fine. If grilling, on a medium flame cook side for 8 minutes and adjust flame as needed.
- Sandwich your patty between the kaiser buns and add on any fixings you want like lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, cheese, organic ketchup - anything you please! The veggie burger is your oyster.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.