Introduction: RGB LED Cube: a Lamp / Bedside Table Out of Upcycled Music Cassettes
I found a box full of old Music cassettes and because i love upcycling, i decided to make a cool lamp out of them. Since it got flat top, you can use it as a bedside table too. I am very happy with this little thing and it is every evening in use.
Maybe you got some old MC's too and this Intructable is a inspiration.
Have Fun ! :)
Step 1: Parts and Tools
- Hot Glue Pistol + some extra Sticks Glue
- Super Glue
The number of parts refers to a cube of ca. 30x30x30 cm.
- 48x Music cassettes without case (Sides)
- 12x Music cassettes with case (Top)
- 12x Music cassette case with or without cassettes (Bottom)
- 5 meter RGB Led Stripe Set (with remote, control unit and power supply)
Step 2: Glue the Case
Some Tips and Warnings
- Depending on wich sort of plastic was used for manufactoring cassettes and their cases, the superglue will stick them in some seconds or some minutes together.
- Superglue can stick your fingers within seconds too, be carefull !
- Hot glue is hot ! :D
- Work precise on a flat underground, otherwise it will be problematic to put the sides together.
- Maybe you got some cassettes with clear pastic or special colors and want arrange them in a special pattern. Lay them out before you glue.
For the sides i sticked rows of 3x4 tapes without cases together.
Arrange the cassettes alternately right and wrong eg. upside and downside. For the next row then exactly the opposite. Take the superglue and add some drops at guiding rails at the sides. Now press the first 3 casettes row some seconds together.
If you got 4 rows you can glue them together, each on the other top.
If you got a side complete, get the hot glue gun and put some of it at the gaps for safety reasons. At my first tries, the cassettes solved again.
Top & Bottom
Glue 4x3 cassettes with case together, like descriped before. First superglue then hot glue.
Since i got not enough cases for the bottom, i need there to go a little bit creative like you can see at the last step. ^^
Put it together
After the dry. Put the sides and the bottom together, how they should be. Important ! Two sides needs to be higher, like the thicknes of the cases. Otherwise the top will not fit and be flat. Maybe someone can help you to hold them, while you're hot glue all pieces together I used some masking tape. ;)
Step 3: Electronic
Lets give this cube some light !
- Glue the control unit in the middle and the strip ascending around the sides between the holes of the cassettes.
- Make a knot in the power supply cable to prevent damage and put it in the controlunit.
- Stick the infrared sensor slightly inclined in one hole at the front of the cube.
- Finaly glue the top on.
Step 4: Finish !
Note: Since the whole thing is made of plastic and glue ^^, I would not leave it unattended on. I've been using it for some time now and often for many hours, it never happend something and it is not getting very hot. But better safe than sorry.
And now: Look for a nice place with a socket, push the on button on the remote an enjoy the colors. :)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.