also known as RGB POV for beginners to make at homeThis i'ble is in constant update. If you're planning on doing something don't be afraid to drop a question.
I've always wanted a POV for my bicycle, specially a full colour POV capable of displaying text, images and small animations!
There are some cool POVs commercially available.
from adafruit industries (and its i'ble
- Monkeylectric's m132s
- Monkeylectric's recentely announced m464q
Unfortunately, the SpokePOV is only one colour, and the m132s, as I understand, doesn't have the ability to display images. Besides, I think these are a little too expensive for something that I will not use often.
So I though I would try to make my own with components I already had around. This way I don't have to spend any more money to try and play with a bicycle POV.
This project features
- 16 RGB (Red+Green+Blue) Light Emitting Diodes;
- Arduino compatibility (Suposedely, I'll have to check that later);
- Single layer printed circuit board, suitable for home fab;
- All through hole componentes, suitable for beginners;
- Hall effect sensor, for image synchronization;
- Least number of componentes possible;
- Unfortunately, only one side of the wheel is illuminated (check update).
- Fits 26" wheels, I haven't had opportunity to try it in 20" and 24" wheels.
This project is also a open project. Anyone who wishes to participate is welcome. The contributions will be added to this instructable and published.Update
: I updated the board, so you can use only one board for lighting both sides of the wheel! But it won't work correctly in both sides for text...