Introduction: ROASTED BROCCOLI WITH GARLIC & SESAME OIL
If you are not, or have not been, a "Broccoli Fan," try this recipe. I think it will change your mind about this extremely healthy cruciferous vegetable. Just 5.2 oz of raw broccoli contains 50 calories, 10 carbohydrates and 4.2 grams of protein (estimated). Broccoli is high in vitamins C and K, and has lots of minerals and fiber. *Broccoli also contains glucoraphanin which can be processed into sulforaphane - an anti-cancer compound, and indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer.
*According to Wikipedia.org
Step 1: PREPARATION
- Thoroughly rinse the stalks of broccoli under warm water; then shake them dry. If necessary, let them air-dry for a half-hour. You don't want to roast wet broccoli because it will have a tendency to steam instead of roast.
- When the broccoli is dry, cut the florets off into a nice serving size. The stems are also good to eat. However, if they are thick and "bumpy" peal off the "ugly stuff" with a sharp paring knife; then slice them length-wise into approximately 2" spears.
Step 2: INGREDIENTS (2 SERVINGS) and FINAL PREPARATION
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- 2 or 3 Stalks of Broccoli, washed, dried, and sliced (see step 2)
- Several Cloves of Garlic, smashed, peeled, and chopped (I like lots of garlic)
- 3 TBS of a good Sesame Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (or more) Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Toss the Broccoli pieces in a large bowl with the chopped garlic, pepper flakes, and sesame oil.
- Spread the mixture on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil and roast for 15 minutes.
Step 3: TIME TO EAT . . .
Place a serving of roasted broccoli on a plate and top it with some chopped green onions and a teaspoon or two of low-sodium soy sauce. If you are a vegan or vegetarian, this can make a good meal for you. Since I am not a vegetarian, I like to use the roasted broccoli as a side-dish, and I especially enjoy it along with a serving of my "Pan Seared Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon," (accompanied with a wasabi-soy dipping sauce, of course)!
The Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Sesame Oil is a very low calorie dish. I estimate that this recipe has an estimated total 261 calories and 19 carbs!
Step 4: ROASTED BROCCOLI WITH GARLIC & SESAME OIL
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.