Introduction: ROASTED PORK LOIN WITH CRUSHED GREEN PEPPERCORNS AND GREEN APPLE BOURBON
This is really a quick and easy recipe. Once the pork loin has been marinated and refrigerated for a while (an hour or two, or even overnight), it will only take about 45 to 50 minutes to roast to perfection.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS (4 Servings)
- 1/2 boneless pork loin (2 t 3 lbs; this one weighed 34 ounces)
- 1 TBS green peppercorns (you could also use black peppercorns, or a melange)
- 4 to 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 TBS fresh rosemary leaves (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond Crystal Salt Sense (or Kosher or sea salt)
- 2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Jim Beam Apple Bourbon
Step 2: PREPARATION:
- Place the herbs and spices in a mortar.
- Peel, mince, and add the garlic.
- Crush the ingredients with the pestle.
- Add the 2 TBS of EVOO, mix thoroughly and crush again until you have a fairly thick paste.
- Place the pork loin onto a large sheet of plastic wrap.
- Coat all sides as evenly as possible with the herb/spice rub, pressing it into the flesh as you do so.
- Wrap tightly in the plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to roast.
*NOTE: The herbs and spices used made enough of a mixture to coat this 34-ounce pork loin; however, if you are using a 3 to 4 lb piece of pork you should probably use 3 TBS of EVOO and double the amount of herbs and spices.
Step 3: INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray a roasting pan or heavy cast iron skillet with a rack with cooking spray.
- Place the herb-crusted pork loin on the rack and let it rest on the counter for about 30 minutes.
- When the oven has reached the desired temperature, place the pork loin into the oven and roast it for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes have passed, reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Baste the pork with about 1/3 of the 1/2 cup of bourbon and continue to roast at 300 degrees F for another 15 minutes, then rotate the baking pan and baste the pork with another 1/3 of the bourbon. Continue roasting for another 15 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of the pork loin after it has roasted for a total of 45 minutes (15@450 degrees F and 30 minutes at 300 degrees F). and baste it with the remaining 1/3 cup of bourgon. (The internal temperature should be between 135 - 140 degrees F for medium (slightly pink on the inside). If you want it a little more well-done, roast it for another 5 minutes or so).
- Once the pork loin has reached the desired stage of doneness, remove it from the oven; plate it and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Let it rest on the stove top for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving (I used this time to cook a side dish of roasted curried cauliflower (that recipe will follow soon)!
Step 4: TIME TO EAT . . .
Slice the pork loin (slightly on a bias).
Plate a few slices, drizzle with some of that delicious apple-bourbon flavored pot juice over the roast pork, and add a salad or side dish. Enjoy your dinner with a little Jim Beam and club soda spiked with a slice of Granny Smith Green Apple. Who could ask for more?
Step 5: NUTRITION
I have estimated the nutritional values of this roasted pork loin to the best of my ability using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzer (side dishes are not included in this analysis). While a bit "rich," this recipe is loaded with protein.