Introduction: RPU Raspberry Pi Processing Unit
Raspberry Pi Processing Unit
What is a Raspberry Pi ?
The Raspberry Pi is a low cost, credit-card sized computer that plugs into a computer monitor or TV, and uses a standard keyboard and mouse. It is a capable little device that enables people of all ages to explore computing, and to learn how to program in languages like Scratch and Python. It’s capable of doing everything you’d expect a desktop computer to do, from browsing the internet and playing high-definition video, to making spreadsheets, word-processing, and playing games. What’s more, the Raspberry Pi has the ability to interact with the outside world, and has been used in a wide array of digital maker projects, from music machines and parent detectors to weather stations and tweeting birdhouses with infra-red cameras. We want to see the Raspberry Pi being used by kids all over the world to learn to program and understand how computers work. This is a simple project no matter you are a beginner or an expert! This is so simple that children could also make it.
You must have heard of those old school CPU. This is an update for that! We have made those old CPU Lighter, Portable and easy to use! It would be running on Ubuntu Mate!
After making this project you can show off in front of your friends that you have made your very own computer!
Hopefully you like my Insructable, Thanks for viewing it!! Share this among your friends! Feel free to share your thought, innovative creations, modifications or even my mistakes in the the coments section below!!!!
Step 1: Things You Need !?!
1. A Box- You can get a cardboard one out of junk or may be 3d Print it or Laser Cut it. It should be roughly 15cm x 15cm x 5cm mine is 13 x 13 x 5.
2. A Raspberry Pi - the most important thing | Link - http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Model-Project-B...
3. A SD Card - The faster the better! always prefer class 10. size could be between 8 - 32 GB. | Link- http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class-Adapter-MB-MP3...
4. A Case For Ras Pi - Link- http://www.amazon.com/Official-Raspberry-Pi-Founda...
5. A USB Hub - Should be externally powered and go for USB 2.0 ; Should have all the port on same side
(Optional) 6. A Cooling Fan and Heat Sink- if you want to use this project for long then you need this. Link- http://www.amazon.com/Gdstime-Aluminum-Heatsink-Ra...
7. Power Adapters- one micro USB for pi and one for your usb hub.
8. A X- ACTO Knife- or any sharp hobby knife | Link- http://www.amazon.com/X-ACTO-Retract---Blade-Knife...
9. A Ruler
(Optional)10. Wifi, Bluetooth or wireless keyboard mouse adapter- W http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Ras... B http://www.amazon.com/ONETWO%C2%AENEW-Bluetooth-Ad...
11. A Sharpi or Ordinary pen.
12. Paint Can or Duck Tape for covering the Box.
(Optional) 13. A Battery- If you want to use your PI outdoors you need to have it. You can use a power bank lying around.
14. A Mouse- It would be cool if it is wireless.
15. A KeyBoard- the smaller the better for the sake of portability.
16. A Screen- If using indoors you can use any monitor with HDMI. If outdoors use official Pi Foundation touch screen- https://www.adafruit.com/products/2718
17. A HDMI Cable- consider having a short and portable one. Link- http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cable-Store-Foot-Plated...
18. A Glue Gun
Step 2: Software
- Connect the memory card to your Computer.
- Go to this Link- https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/ and download Ubuntu Mate, however there are many softwares that you can add to you pi check them out here- https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
- While your Ubuntu is downloading go this Link- https://www.sdcard.org/index.htm and download Sd Formatter 4.0 .
- Open this software and format your sd card.
- Extract the Ubuntu files or image that you just downloaded to the card.
- Now, remove the SD card from your computer and plug it to your pi.
- Initialise your pi with Ubuntu.
- If you face any problems re-check everything or ask in comments section.
Step 3: Hardware
- Put your Pi into the box such that the micro USB and HDMI are at one of the sides of the Box. Refer to the pictures.
- Mark Micro USB, HDMI and headphone jack and cut these out. Do not worry about properly cutting we will cover everything with tape at the end.
- While cutting remember that you have to fix your pi (with case) with some screws.
- Now put the USB Hub in front of the pi as shown in the diagram and pictures.
- Mark the USB females and cut it out.
- If you have got the fan make some large holes to the upper part of the box.
- (Optional) You can attach a switch breaking the circuit after the micro USB on the pi and attack it to any empty side.
- (Optional) You can also attach a led so that you can know your pi is working and attach it to any side.
Step 4: Paint Job or Duck Tape
Painting : if you have decided to paint the box.
- Using a small piece of sandpaper make all the rough edges smooth that you cut out in the previous step.
- Cover all the cut outs by tape from inside for preving paint to get inside.
- Paint the box from outside with any colour of your choice.
- Wait for paint to dry.
- Then remove the tape and you are good to go.
Duck Tape : if you have decided to tape down your box.
- Tape the whole box at least twice, let one side of the box open so that you can place your components.
- With the help of a X- ACTO knife and Tape make all cut outs clear.
Also, Using the template provided, cut out the written section stick it to the box and spray paint over it. Wait for some time remove the tape an the paper. Now you have a RPU Logo over the box.
Step 5: Putting Everything Inside!
- Attach Wifi, Bluetooth Dongle to the ports on pi.
- Now put you pi inside and screw it with nuts provided with the pi case.
- Cut a piece of cardboard roughly 11cm x 4.5cm.
- With help of the Glue gun glue the piece at the side of the pi making a little compartment for keeping your battery or mouse.
- Attach the fan to the ceiling of the box and connect it to the pi.
- Connect the USB Hubs wire with the pi and glue the hub to the place where you have cut holes for it.
- Glue the switch and led to the place.
Step 6: Testing
- Connect the HDMI cable the pi.
- Connect power adapter to the pi and to the USB Hub.
- Connect your mouse and keyboard to the pi.
- Switch everything on.
- Wait! Now you must be logged into Ubuntu.
- Connect to your wifi.
- You are good to go.....
- If not check everything back or ask in the comments section.
Step 7: What Can You Do With This Thing!
Congratulations you have made your very own computer. With this thing, You can -
- Surf internet - watch youtube, go online on Facebook or any other social site. Google anything.
- Play Games - there are hundreds of games compatible with Ubuntu.
- Watch Movies - you can use Netflix or watch movies downloaded via Torrent.
- Hear Music - hear to your favourite music.
- Do your office work - official work can also be done on this thing.
- Do your Home work - school work can also be done on this thing.
You can do most of the things do on a large scale Computer!!
Step 8: Modifications
- You can put a Webcam onto the box.
- You can put some foam inside the compartment so that nothing wobbles around.
- You can get a bag which is a little bigger than the box, put everything inside it and carry your RPU anywhere.
- You can buy some Retro gaming stick and turn your RPU into a gaming Console.
- You can also put some sticker over your RPU.
Step 9: Vote for Mee!!
Thanks for viewing this! If you liked this Vote for me in the Raspberry Pi Competition
Also see my Raspberry Pi Thief Detector Instructable here - https://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Thie...
I would soon bring out some more instuctables!
Till than Stay Creative, Make New Things! GOOD BYEEE!!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.