Step 1: What's RTL-SDR?
RTL-SDR is the cheapest method to get into the world of SDR (Software Defined Radio) - method of receiving (RTL-SDR have no capability to transmit) and processing radio transmission using your PC. Using it you can receive everything that is transmitted between about 20~2000 MHz depending on second chip on the device.
In brief it can hear i.e.:
- ordinary FM radio stations
- police radio transmissions
- plane and ship tracking informations
- small radio devices like car keys
- probably GPS satellites (as of now there is no confirmed method to do this)
- International Space Station and other space equipment that transmits below 2 GHz
- every other device that you know transmits on these frequencies